Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austrian Game Studio Now Sponsoring Krita Development

Phoronix: Austrian Game Studio Now Sponsoring Krita Development

While Blender is at the forefront of receiving corporate sponsorships and funding for advancing that open-source 3D modeling software, other free software graphics programs haven't all received the same level of support. As good news for further raising the open-source creative/graphics ecosystem, an Austrian video game studio has become one of the new Krita sponsors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are there's something similar sponsoring for GIMP?

Anyway, maybe Krita will get all GIMP features someday.

Comment

I'd live to see Krita become a full Photoshop alternative, instead of "just" a great drawing program. The UI/UX is just so much better than GIMP.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
        I'd live to see Krita become a full Photoshop alternative, instead of "just" a great drawing program. The UI/UX is just so much better than GIMP.
        I agree!

Despite GIMP useful features, it has an extremely horrible UI/UX.

Krita is extremely better than GIMP in that.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree!

Despite GIMP useful features, it has an extremely horrible UI/UX.

Krita is extremely better than GIMP in that.
          it's because gimp 3.0 isn't out yet. just kidding. there are some good videos of professional artists using krita/gimp and comparing it to photoshop. gimp has a lot of issues, not the least of which is gtk.

of course, generative ai seems to be rapidly bringing manual image editing without AI assistance to antiquity, like basket weaving.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

it's because gimp 3.0 isn't out yet. just kidding. there are some good videos of professional artists using krita/gimp and comparing it to photoshop. gimp has a lot of issues, not the least of which is gtk.

of course, generative ai seems to be rapidly bringing manual image editing without AI assistance to antiquity, like basket weaving.
            Generative AI is okayish for certain tasks and stuff such as ImageAI help a lot, but is far from replacing manual editing completely. It just helps some tasks to become a lot easier and faster, the rest is sensationalist propaganda. Complete generative AI for images is still far from usefulness in a professional way, maybe it may help a bit in conceptual stuff and such.

Gimp is a living joke of a project.

Krita is a lot younger and achieved to be an amazing software.

GIMP feels like eternal alpha-beta quality software.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              GIMP feels like eternal alpha-beta quality software.
              To its defence, it is kind of the showcase of the Gtk ecosystem. So naturally it has to be terrible or it would be false advertising.

I can't wait to see what the Gtk3 version has in store. If current Gimp is akin to Gnome 2. The Gnome 3 equivalent of Gimp is going to be "glorious".

(I personally maintain a version of Gimp 2.4 and Blender 2.49, so am quite happy to watch the bloat evolve from the sidelines)

Comment

Krita definitely deserves all the sponsoring it can get, like many other KDE projects and KDE organization itself!

Comment

Grammatical error: "has been on a role lately" should be "has been on a roll lately".

Comment

Regarding the Krita vs. GIMP comparisons: they are meant for different things. Krita is to GIMP as Adobe Illustrator is to Adobe Photoshop.

Comment

Working...
                    X