Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome 120 Released With Theora Support Evaporating, Adds WebGPU & CSS Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 120 Released With Theora Support Evaporating, Adds WebGPU & CSS Improvements

Phoronix: Chrome 120 Released With Theora Support Evaporating, Adds WebGPU & CSS Improvements

Google on Wednesday released Chrome 120 as the newest version of their cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland works well now there. This is a very convenient web browser for me. I can sync my data between my computers and phone.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
      Wayland works well now there. This is a very convenient web browser for me. I can sync my data between my computers and phone.
      you can do that with FIrefox as well, just in case you want to give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

you can do that with FIrefox as well, just in case you want to give it a try
        I get graphical glitches on Firefox unfortunately and I have no interest in troubleshooting them. (Yes, I know others don't have that problem so please spare me that "i can't reproduce"). 10th gen intel processor for the record.

Comment

And google spies.

Comment

Next year many users will be forced to leave chrome because of MV3 approach.

Comment

Stopped using Google Chrome as it extracts too much data for their advertising stats etc.
              Degooglified (ungoogled) chromium is a better fit for me in general.
              Last edited by Smurphy; 07 December 2023, 09:20 AM.
              Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

And google spies.
                Which is why you should use Brave Browser and stay far away from Chrome and Chromium.

Comment

I get graphical glitches on Firefox unfortunately and I have no interest in troubleshooting them. (Yes, I know others don't have that problem so please spare me that "i can't reproduce"). 10th gen intel processor for the record.
                  With Wayland+Firefox specifically? Have you messed around with the about:config settings for webgl, layers, and forcing EGL (along with the forced vaapi settings)?

You have all your non-free codecs enabled and any Intel media-related packages enabled? GuC and HuC enabled also?

(Just guessing it's media related visual glitches but yeah. If trying to force it to work when it doesn't want to, and capturing the about:support settings before and after along with any i915 module param changes to open an issue to document what was occuring before and after the changes isn't "fun" of some sort for you, then do stick with Chromium of some kind.

But if you want a sense of adventure and your senses are tingling because you know there is a way to force it to work, then get your booty into documenting and tinkering and logging to improve the experience!

CachyOS browser, Librewolf, SeaMonkey are all based on Firefox and Palemoon is Firefox-adjacent. Waterfox and IceWeasel also exist, I believe.

So you could help the whole ecosystem of browsers... Or find one with default options that randomly just work.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudyptula View Post
                    Which is why you should use Brave Browser and stay far away from Chrome and Chromium.
                    Thorium Browser + UBlock Origin is faster and has less bloat

Comment

Working...
                    X