Wine 9.0-rc1 Released With Upgraded VKD3D, Wine Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 9.0-rc1 Released With Upgraded VKD3D, Wine Wayland Improvements

Phoronix: Wine 9.0-rc1 Released With Upgraded VKD3D, Wine Wayland Improvements

The release process has begun for releasing Wine 9.0 as stable early next year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can we please get Revit, SolidWorks and MS Office 365 working flawlessly?!! Everything else can be handled by Proton

Comment

I couldn't care less about the wayland enablement. What I want is a working port of wine to OpenBSD. It used to work in the stone age back in 3.x or 4.x releases. But hasn't for a long long long time. There are some emulators and games that keep me from going OpenBSD only and this would go a long way towards fixing that.

I was excited a couple years ago with Wine 7.x because they were doing something called PE to let 32bit binaries run on 64bit systems, which is critical because OpenBSD is like Slackware in that it is pure 64bit with no libraries to run 32bit software like in Debian or even FreeBSD.

A google summer of code project covered by Michael on here awhile back they got 32bit wine working in 64bit NetBSD so I just assumed that OpenBSD would fall into place soon, but that has not happened yet.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        Can we please get Revit, SolidWorks and MS Office 365 working flawlessly?!! Everything else can be handled by Proton
        Proton is a fork of wine + some patches, so no thanks.

Comment

Within the past few years, we went from “oh cool, that software works with wine!” to “oh damn, this software can’t run with wine?”

Thanks for making Windows (TM) crappy binaries work under Linux.

Comment

Given how much Wine progress is coming about because Valve has an ongoing contract with Codeweavers to develop Proton and upstream changes as they become ready, it's no surprise that those wouldn't be the highest priorities in the world. Proton's purpose is games and Valve is paying for Proton.

Comment

Isn't there a office version for the web? And what about asking the companies to make their software with wine?

Comment

Without the huge and beautiful world behind the windows, the penguin would be sad

Last edited by HEL88; 09 December 2023, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                  Within the past few years, we went from “oh cool, that software works with wine!” to “oh damn, this software can’t run with wine?”

Thanks for making Windows (TM) crappy binaries work under Linux.
                  Dear Linux fans. You need to establish a coherent narrative.

Once you write that Wine runs everything so wonderfully that widnows is unnecessary.

And once like you. And seeing by the pluses many agree with you.

And not so long ago I was convinced here that there is Wine, then why do I need Windows.

You change your mind like an emotionally unstable maiden - what you write can not be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Given how much Wine progress is coming about because Valve has an ongoing contract with Codeweavers to develop Proton and upstream changes as they become ready, it's no surprise that those wouldn't be the highest priorities in the world. Proton's purpose is games and Valve is paying for Proton.
                    And then there is the thing that, production software are, in theory, always possible to be rewritten from scratch by open source community. Meanwhile games can't. You may imitate the gameplay mechanism but the storyline and artwork are copyrighted. So it is always games that get the highest demand for emulators.

Comment

Working...
                    X