Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Details Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Plans + Ongoing X11 Sunsetting Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Details Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Plans + Ongoing X11 Sunsetting Discussions

Phoronix: Canonical Details Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Plans + Ongoing X11 Sunsetting Discussions

Tim Holmes-Mitra with Canonical has shared some roadmap highlights for the Ubuntu desktop with the in-development Ubuntu 24.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

X bois in panic mode now

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      X bois in panic mode now
      Nothingburger.

Comment

Nvidia will have open driver, and 22.04 LTS will be supported till Apr 2027. Why bother carrying X.org AGAIN? I would prefer more dev. time on other parts of the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
          Nvidia will have open driver, and 22.04 LTS will be supported till Apr 2027. Why bother carrying X.org AGAIN? I would prefer more dev. time on other parts of the desktop.
          Lets be honest, not much dev time happens on X... all the dev time is spent on trying to put out the dumpster fire that is Wayland and its half a billion** implementations. Thankfully X at least is stable

** For really small values of billion.
          Last edited by zexelon; 15 December 2023, 03:16 PM. Reason: For the clinically incapable of detecting sarcasm...

Comment

I hope Canonical with their Ubuntu Firmware Updater can get Asus, Asrock, GIgabyte, MSI and other PC desktop motherboard manufacturers on board.

Comment

There are ongoing discussions about sun setting X11. In Ubuntu 24.04 LTS we’re not ready to make that leap. For this cycle, we’ve decided to audit the state of NVIDIA + Wayland to define the signals we want to see in order to make that call.
              We've decided to audit the state to define the signals we want to see to make that call

ROFL, that's the business-speak, press release version of "NVIDIA ain't quite got their stuff together so we gots to keep on keepin' on 'till they do. "

Comment

I wish there was a synergy/barrier equivalent for Wayland. This seems to me like an important function still missing. Unfortunately, it is not receiving much attention.

Comment

Michael

typo

"but for Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, they will still be keepping 24.04 LTS around it seems:" should be "keeping X11"

Comment

Well at least Ubuntu avoided digging its own grave… for now.

Bad distro anyway, and unlike special snowflakes around here, I don't tend to use things I trash except to try them out.

Comment

Working...
                    X