Wine 9.0-rc3 Released With 35 Fixes In Total, Some Wayland Driver Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 9.0-rc3 Released With 35 Fixes In Total, Some Wayland Driver Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 9.0-rc3 Released With 35 Fixes In Total, Some Wayland Driver Fixes

The third weekly release candidate of Wine 9.0 is now available for this open-source software that allows running Windows games and applications on Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm hoping they let us enable the Wayland driver soon. Somebody uploaded a video testing it out two weeks okay and it looks way further along than I even expected, and there's been 6 more related merges since then. In games it seems to get a few frames more of a few frames less, when I was expecting it consistently be less for awhile.

Maybe normal applications don't fair nearly as well as games? But regardless, I'd love to test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
      Maybe normal applications don't fair nearly as well as games? But regardless, I'd love to test it out.
      The windows didn't obey the system decoration, the right-click menus show displaced, the system-tray icons appear as a window outside panel but otherwise functional

Comment

Originally posted by paregistrase View Post
        The windows didn't obey the system decoration, the right-click menus show displaced, the system-tray icons appear as a window outside panel but otherwise functional
        Sounds pretty good for something so new. I use Gnome so I can do without the decorations and I disable system tray icons when I can so it's just the displaced right click menus that would get annoying.

It would be interesting if libdecor could somehow be used with it later on though.

Comment

Yeah, it works better than I expected, considering it's not even offered as an option for now.​

Comment

I wonder how the wine Wayland driver handles programs that use absolute window positioning. The Wayland protocol doesn't support this as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
              I wonder how the wine Wayland driver handles programs that use absolute window positioning. The Wayland protocol doesn't support this as far as I know.
              I thought there was a protocol for this, but it's not implemented by Mutter. But I could be mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post

I thought there was a protocol for this, but it's not implemented by Mutter. But I could be mistaken.
                There's no official protocol yet, the closest thing is maybe this one, but the Weston and GNOME people said no so it will at best be an "optional extension" type of protocol instead of an official Wayland one: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...e_requests/247

Discussion is currently ongoing on this other protocol though, that's supposed to work better in more scenarios like for a tiling WM: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...e_requests/264

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
                  It doesn't. It's broken. Not just Wine btw, tons of native apps that need it are broken wrt to this (e.g. Blender).

But ignorant Wayland rabid fanboys will assume it's broken because "it's new and they [the Wine Wayland driver devs] need to fix it". They will never blame Wayland of course, it's perfect!!! It's never Wayland's fault, its the software using it!!!!!! And if it's never fixed it's because they're shit devs only doing what Codeweavers wants!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
                    There isn't, and won't be, because it's broken by design. You can write a million merge requests no matter how sensible, the monkeys who developed Wayland will simply ignore/close them.

Comment

Working...
                    X