KDE Developers Prepare For Christmas With More Bug Fixes & Qt 6 Porting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developers Prepare For Christmas With More Bug Fixes & Qt 6 Porting

Phoronix: KDE Developers Prepare For Christmas With More Bug Fixes & Qt 6 Porting

This week brought the second beta of KDE Plasma 6.0 along with KDE Gear and KDE Frameworks updates too. The holidays haven't resulted in KDE development slowing down too much with still a number of bug fixes being merged this week and other minor enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I imagine they don't fix Plasma 5 Wayland bugs anymore, e.g. firefox from a .tar.gz release has no icon, whereas on X11 the firefox icon is present. It seems anything that is not packaged has no icon (bears the wayland icon instead).

(Fedora 39)

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      I imagine they don't fix Plasma 5 Wayland bugs anymore, e.g. firefox from a .tar.gz release has no icon, whereas on X11 the firefox icon is present. It seems anything that is not packaged has no icon (bears the wayland icon instead).

(Fedora 39)
      Fix your .desktop file and it will have the proper icon again.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Fix your .desktop file and it will have the proper icon again.
        What to fix? And why under X11 it works "unfixed"? Not to mention as I wrote previously I'm running a .tar.gz, there's no desktop file to begin with.

Comment

What to fix? And why under X11 it works "unfixed"? Not to mention as I wrote previously I'm running a .tar.gz, there's no desktop file to begin with.
          You can use the menu editor (kmenuedit) that comes with Plasma to create a desktop file.

Comment

Under X11, Windows, and macOS, there's an API to allow an application to set its own icon at runtime. For Wayland, the icons come from the compositor looking for a matching installed .desktop file and there's currently an ongoing dispute over whether it's legitimate for applications to want to set their icons any other way and it's unclear how many compositors will be willing to implement the protocol extension for doing so if it gets accepted.

The claim is that the .desktop approach is to prevent phishing by putting icon-selection somewhere sandboxed applications can't alter it, which is LOL given that GNOME insists on everything using CSD where they can draw whatever the *honk* they want in their titlebars.
            Last edited by ssokolow; 23 December 2023, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              That's a better answer than I ever expected, thanks.

Comment

That's a better answer than I ever expected, thanks.
                Do you have anything real to add now that you have been educated a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Do you have anything real to add now that you have been educated a bit?
                  Yes. Of course. Please hold your hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    The claim is that the .desktop approach is to prevent phishing by putting icon-selection somewhere sandboxed applications can't alter it, which is LOL given that GNOME insists on everything using CSD where they can draw whatever the *honk* they want in their titlebars.
                    Sandboxed applications or third party ones? Are you claiming apps want to phish themselves?

Comment

Working...
                    X