Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE KWin Merge Request Opened For Dynamic Triple Buffering

Phoronix: KDE KWin Merge Request Opened For Dynamic Triple Buffering

Similar to the long-worked-on GNOME dynamic triple buffering that is applied when the (most commonly integrated) graphics fall behind schedule in rendering the desktop, a merge request for KDE's KWin compositor has also seen similar work in this area for helping the iGPU catch-up in rendering via a "triple buffering" implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like I'm going to install Gentoo on my old 2009 Macbook again…

Comment

So only for iGPU, not for other GPU's/APU's?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        I guess it works for all of them, but it is only useful on weak GPUs, ie, iGPUs.

Comment

So only for iGPU, not for other GPU's/APU's?​
          They just said it is mostly needed with integrated graphics, but it should automatically work with anything.

Comment

It doesn't look like it's tied to any particular type or architecture of GPU and seems to be more of a fallback in case a system's GPU sucks so bad that it can't render a modern desktop smooth enough without buffering. Ideally, you won't ever need this, but if you're stuck with a 2009 MacBook, a Core2Quad Q6600, or someone convinced your Mom that an ATi 6000 or 7000 series is better than an AMD 6000 or 7000 series because they're HD so you ended up having a shitty Christmas, well, then this outta help.

Comment

Triple buffering is also required for multi-monitor setups where the display card can't or won't synchronise the vsync of the displays. You need a buffer to render to, a buffer to present to the first display, and a buffer to present to the last display. If the last display has input lag >1 frame of the first, then you need even more frames buffered if you want to try to keep the displays visually synced. I haven't yet seen a display manager which takes that into consideration. IE if you have a CRT sitting next to a 2015 LCD TV with SmoothMotion enabled, the CRT is most likely 2-3 frames ahead of the TV, so dragging a window up and down half on each display will tear the window, even on "No-Tearing" display managers... not their fault of course, they're ignorant to the reality of the displays they are driving.
              Last edited by linuxgeex; 26 December 2023, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It doesn't look like it's tied to any particular type or architecture of GPU and seems to be more of a fallback in case a system's GPU sucks so bad that it can't render a modern desktop smooth enough without buffering. Ideally, you won't ever need this, but if you're stuck with a 2009 MacBook, a Core2Quad Q6600, or someone convinced your Mom that an ATi 6000 or 7000 series is better than an AMD 6000 or 7000 series because they're HD so you ended up having a shitty Christmas, well, then this outta help.
                maybe the problem is such old pc i had a q6600 many years ago, great cpu to overclock, i can oc that cpu to 3.5 ghz without many troubles but its really old tech

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

maybe the problem is such old pc i had a q6600 many years ago, great cpu to overclock, i can oc that cpu to 3.5 ghz without many troubles but its really old tech
                  I have a Q6700 in a box somewhere. these chips were monsters, they out punched their weight and they did it far longer then they had any right to do so. I had it paired with a GT9800 and that thing had an absurdly long life span to it, I was using it to play games like warframe right up until I got a i3 6100 which replaced both the gpu and the cpu

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I have a Q6700 in a box somewhere. these chips were monsters, they out punched their weight and they did it far longer then they had any right to do so. I had it paired with a GT9800 and that thing had an absurdly long life span to it, I was using it to play games like warframe right up until I got a i3 6100 which replaced both the gpu and the cpu
                    Does the iGPU of the i3 6100 rival a GT9800?

Comment

Working...
                    X