Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking The Experimental Ubuntu x86-64-v3 Build For Greater Performance On Modern CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Experimental Ubuntu x86-64-v3 Build For Greater Performance On Modern CPUs

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Experimental Ubuntu x86-64-v3 Build For Greater Performance On Modern CPUs

One of the exciting innovations currently being explored by Canonical ahead of the Ubuntu 24.04 LTS release is an x86-64-v3 build of the OS / packages. The x86-64-v3 micro-architecture feature level makes AVX/AVX2 support assumed by default as well as other modern x86_64 ISA features typically common of AMD and Intel processors the past number of years (with exceptions). Canonical's determination around what to do with a possible complementary Ubuntu x86-64-v3 build/archive is still being determined but they had released an experimental Ubuntu 23.04 based build that I decided to take for some benchmarking.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CachyOS is solid
    Last edited by Kjell; 27 December 2023, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
      CachyOS is solid
      I use it on bare metal and for WSL2.

Comment

Definitely some performance being left behind by not upping the flags, at least in these benchmarks. I feel like a more thorough benchmarking analysis on a greater number of benchmarks would definitely be interesting.

Not sure V4 would show as much benefit as much as a lot of time avx512 has coded pathways to use the available instructions on the processor in software that would benefit most from it. Would be interesting to see if I am wrong about that though.

Comment

Michael, for the sake of comparison, can you benchmark some of the OpenSuse packages built to support hwcaps?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Michael, for the sake of comparison, can you benchmark some of the OpenSuse packages built to support hwcaps?
            To be a fair comparison the packages would need to be on the same version as Ubuntu 23.04. But I would be interested in a comparison as well.

I see a consistent trend in the numbers presented here by Michael by the way. Hence it might bring some benefits when doing a whole distro build with x86-64-v3 vs doing the hwcaps-only with some libraries approach.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
              To be a fair comparison the packages would need to be on the same version as Ubuntu 23.04. But I would be interested in a comparison as well.
              I think the same version of the package + same compiler version should be sufficient, in most cases. Also, CPU governor, as Volta mentioned (below). Same Kernel... if it's not much trouble.

Overall, I think Ubuntu outperforms OpenSuse (at least, the last time Michael compared them), so there could be some difference due to the kernel, but I'm trying to keep the request reasonable.

I see a consistent trend in the numbers presented here
              It's a small sample that's not chosen at random. Consider that, before you draw any sweeping conclusions.

Hopefully, there will be enough overlap between the two test suites (i.e. v3-baseline vs. hwcaps) as to further inform the discussion.
              Last edited by coder; 27 December 2023, 09:54 AM.

Comment

They also have to use the same CPU governor and kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
                  Not sure V4 would show as much benefit as much as a lot of time avx512 has coded pathways to use the available instructions on the processor in software that would benefit most from it.
                  Same is true for v3 though. I would be surprised if e.g. SVT-AV1 is not using the AVX2 code path even on the non-v3 builds.

It would be interesting to see benchmarks where it is established that applications don't have and use a dedicated AVX2 path already.

Comment

about as disappointing as to be expected from most just SIMD extensions for not vector math code general purpose control flow code, ...

Comment

Working...
                    X