GCC 14 Compiler Lands Initial Support For Targeting AMD RDNA3 "GFX11" GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 14 Compiler Lands Initial Support For Targeting AMD RDNA3 "GFX11" GPUs

Phoronix: GCC 14 Compiler Lands Initial Support For Targeting AMD RDNA3 "GFX11" GPUs

AMD makes heavy use of the LLVM compiler infrastructure by their graphics drivers and compute stack while the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) has to a lesser extent supported AMD graphics targets too in the context of GPU compute / OpenMP device offloading. That AMD Radeon/Instinct support for GCC has been carried out over the years by Mentor Graphics and other stakeholders. The latest on the AMD GPU expedition for GCC is that the upcoming GCC 14 compiler will finally be supporting AMD RDNA3 (GFX11) graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I have some old game compiled with some archaic compiler(it could even be MS, Intel, GCC, G++ or even LLVM , recompilation when even makers of it are under supervision of abandonment how could them make I a problem of interest to recompile such shit?

Think about alphabet. It has letters, numbers and utf-something like letters of alphabet in another language... We have Vulkan and LLVM, but telling that some computer alphabet shit is translated into cash grabber when noone buying seem weird. But if I need my purchased game to make it into new millenia, what should I do? Buy law right to make such recompilation, but when such company is nonexistent or even not interested to deal with some troll to crush their business of their new wonderful shit?

Alpha-Stage or Preview-Stage something is answer from tech side, but compiler advancement is behind even when Mesa is so much powerful, but I want maybe some tweaks and bugfixes to such game and then some unpaid mods happens, but LLVM development is no used when noone is compiling...

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
      recompilation when even makers of it are under supervision of abandonment how could them make I a problem of interest to recompile such shit?
      Wat? That did not translate to English correctly.

If I guess right from the rest of what you posted, you seem to think this is for compiling games or other general purpose software to run on GPU. This is not what this does. This is meant to compile shader language to hardware-specific code, and to enable general compute use. It has nothing to do with games. Games do not run on the GPU as GPGPU programs.

Comment

What are users of this GPU backend? I recall openmp.
        rust-gpu could possibly use it via rust's gcc backend. But what else?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          What are users of this GPU backend? I recall openmp.
          rust-gpu could possibly use it via rust's gcc backend. But what else?
          OpenACC. GCC supports OpenACC 2.6 since GCC 10 now and is way ahead of other compiler vendors here. AFAIK, LLVM doesn't offer OpenACC support yet (though there is development through Clacc and Flacc). NVHPC does for C/C++/Fortran, HPE Cray only for Fortran. When using AMD GPUs, using the GNU compilers seems to be the only viable option, at least if the compiler supports that GPU...

Comment

Working...
          X