Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS Online Repair Picks Up More Features With Linux 6.8

Phoronix: XFS Online Repair Picks Up More Features With Linux 6.8

Last year the online repair functionality for XFS began to land with the Linux 6.6 kernel. For the in-development Linux 6.8 kernel, more online repair support for the XFS file-system is now ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    support for verifying the contnets of quota files,
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    added for nofying tasks

Comment

"XFS is useless because it doesn't support shrinking !!!!!!"

Someone will say, shortly. Meanwhile in countless production servers which have no need for shrinking...

Comment

The current version of XFS does support shrinking with some limitations. Quoting from the xfs_growfs man page (https://manpages.debian.org/unstable...owfs.8.en.html)

-d | -D size Specifies that the data section of the filesystem should be resized. If the -D size option is given, the data section is changed to that size, otherwise the data section is grown to the largest size possible with the -d option. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. A filesystem with only 1 AG cannot be shrunk further, and a filesystem cannot be shrunk to the point where it would only have 1 AG.​

Comment

I haven't heard any big noises on StratisD in a really long time, but I hope someday they'll bring some of error detection and correction features as they exist in ZFS and BTRFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
            I haven't heard any big noises on StratisD in a really long time, but I hope someday they'll bring some of error detection and correction features as they exist in ZFS and BTRFS.
            You are confused. Stratis is NOT a filesystem. It is a userspace tool that wraps existing functionality. It depends on existing XFS and Device Mapper functionality. If XFS doesn't support whatever you are looking for, use a filesystem that supports it instead. Stratis isn't going to help you with that.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

You are confused. Stratis is NOT a filesystem. It is a userspace tool that wraps existing functionality. It depends on existing XFS and Device Mapper functionality. If XFS doesn't support whatever you are looking for, use a filesystem that supports it instead. Stratis isn't going to help you with that.
              I know that StratisD is not a filesystem. I was initially under the impression it was going to use features akin to a multi disk filesystem by using XFS plus other layers like device mapper. I was also under the impression that a lot of the features added to XFS, like COW support, would enable more StratisD functionality and that there was some bigger picture to work on the various layers together for StratisD as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

I know that StratisD is not a filesystem. I was initially under the impression it was going to use features akin to a multi disk filesystem by using XFS plus other layers like device mapper
                The tool is just called Stratis. The service portion is called Stratisd (not StratisD) fyi. You can combine features yes but you cannot bolt in error detection and correction at upper layers. It's whatever the underlying filesystem (in this XFS) provides. Stratis can only provide convenience over pre-existing functionality. Not add anything new fundamentally.

Comment

I didn't know Stratis vs StratisD nomenclature, but I knew the features depended on the stack. Every time I see XFS or dm verity in Linux news, a part of me hopes that'll be a day see some sort of erasure coding or check summing.

I'll stick to filesystems that already have these things where I need them. I was just rooting for Stratis as well because it's such a cool idea, but in my view, multiple-disk data-stores are usually worth half the value if they have no way to identify and correct issues the disks are having.
                  Last edited by Mitch; 11 January 2024, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X