Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux 40 Looks To Replace iotop With iotop-c

Phoronix: Fedora Linux 40 Looks To Replace iotop With iotop-c

Fedora Linux already ships an iotop-c package for this C alternative the the common iotop program for reporting I/O metrics under Linux, but with the upcoming Fedora 40 release it's looking at having iotop-c replace the original iotop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good! the less python on my machines, the better!

Comment

Come Fedora 42, they'll be planning to replace iotoc-c with iotop-rust :P

Comment

I feel like it should be called iotopic since the output is literally a topic about io.

Less Python is always a good thing. I used to not care about Python until malicious actors starting to use pip when I realized that a lot of times pip updates are blindly pulled into distributions because a version number bumped up. While blind version number updates happen everywhere, it seems like malicious actor are less likely to slip their bad code into native open source programs with many eyes when compared to a python library with not as many eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchi View Post
          iotoppers

Comment

htop introduced disk usage meters as a separate screen some time ago. Version 3.0.3 if I had to guess based on the changelog.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
              htop introduced disk usage meters as a separate screen some time ago. Version 3.0.3 if I had to guess based on the changelog.
              Glances and btop as well. Haven't used iotop in quite some time.

Comment

Nice to see a c-version of iotop. Looks rather neat too.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchi View Post
                  Or Zig which is also a much nicer alternative to C. Zig is inspired by Rust but tries to more of a successor to C than Rust which is more of a successor to C++.

Comment

I didn't know about iotop-c at all. Just installed and it seems to be a clear improvement over iotop , in terms of responsiveness and features.

Comment

Working...
                    X