LLVM/Clang Can Work Fine As A GCC Replacement For Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM/Clang Can Work Fine As A GCC Replacement For Linux Distributions

Phoronix: LLVM/Clang Can Work Fine As A GCC Replacement For Linux Distributions

While the performance of LLVM/Clang is on-par with GCC these days on both x86_64 and AArch64 and the C/C++ support is very robust compared to many years ago, most Linux distributions continue using the GCC compiler and GNU toolchain by default. OpenMandriva is a well known Linux distribution that for several years has been a Clang-built Linux distribution while for three years now the Chimera Linux distribution has also been relying exclusively on an LLVM toolchain...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, OpenMandriva use LLVM/Clang for years with lto/pgo with good success

Comment

I'm personally just hoping for a good race between the two implementations.

Comment

Is someone really surprised? We are talking about the toolchain used to compile MacOS from the kernel to the userland bits and FreeBSD!!! Doesn't support exotic CPU architectures, but the rest is top notch.

Comment

Even Glibc can now be built with Clang, that's remarkable indeed (I've been using the azanella/clang git repo for some time now).
          Last edited by ms178; 05 February 2024, 01:58 PM.

Comment

What is the C/C++ language? I thought the kernel is using C with GCC extensions.

People love to mix C and C++ but the languages are widely different.

Comment

Excellent. That's just what I want from a compiler suite: "we're almost as good as what you're already using".

Comment

That'll be a no from me dawg. LLVM/Clang is too proprietary enabling for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
                  Is someone really surprised? We are talking about the toolchain used to compile MacOS from the kernel to the userland bits and FreeBSD!!! Doesn't support exotic CPU architectures, but the rest is top notch.
                  Good to know it's not a toy anymore (I couldn't care less about ability to compile macos or freebsd). Furthermore, this is no surprise, as they have been working on being able to compile the Linux kernel for years. Top notch? GCC is the facto standard. Would be great to see Linux kernel performance with llvm compared to GCC.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post
                    What is the C/C++ language? I thought the kernel is using C with GCC extensions.

People love to mix C and C++ but the languages are widely different.
                    Yes, it's very irritating. Especially in job offers. I wouldn't touch C++ with a stick, so I hate when someone mentions it next to C.

Comment

Working...
                    X