KDE Sees A Number Of Regression Fixes & Some Crash Fixes This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Sees A Number Of Regression Fixes & Some Crash Fixes This Week

Phoronix: KDE Sees A Number Of Regression Fixes & Some Crash Fixes This Week

KDE developers continue to be quite busy fixing a variety of regressions -- including some crashes -- with the new KDE Plasma 6 desktop stack. Plasma 6.0.3 will ship next week with yet more fixes while some feature work toward Plasma 6.1 is also underway...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

brodie effect

Comment

Thanks to every KDE contributor!

System Settings has a custom font rendering class (KFI::CFcEngine, plasma/plasma-workspace:kcms/kfontinst/lib/FcEngine.h) that is hopelessly tied to X11 libraries (Xft). Thankfully that library still sort of works under Wayland, but half of me and maybe someone else would think "no, that is definitely technical debt!"

I am partly hoping to port most users of that class away to QTextLayout, except the subpixel preview image generation (Tried, it doesn't work). From there we can figure out how to refactor that.

Comment

KDE's Ark archiver can now open and extract self-extracting .exe files
        Nice feature. I have a feeling that self-extracting .exe files​ felt out of use though.​

Comment

Originally posted by SViN View Post
          brodie effect
          Are these fixes to issues highlighted by him?

Comment

My bugs seem all Wayland related - not just KDE6 - so with X11 session I can start working now in KDE neon ...
            The best is, that bug reports are seen - one rises questions which got me to the point to work again.
            Currently window positions seem to not being used - so session save does not work as before
            with KDE6 & Wayland - but KDE 6 & X11 does work as before - so no regression but just problems
            with Wayland and KDE6.
            It is still Ubuntu 22.04 LTS based ... so just the start of first Wayland work ...
            But programs do work with Wayland AFAIK - it is just not yet a reasonable default ... but it seems on its way
            which I would not have expected after seeing what recently is done in Wayland which should be there
            many years before. But this is not (totally) realted to KDE.

I am very happy with KDE in general - and with responses to bugs - I was never before thinking of writing
            a bug report as everything appearing was fixed in typically 7 day in KDE neon ... no real problem
            in more than 4 years ... just as 6.0.2 did not the job I started to get involved concerning bug reports.
            And I am using a big part of the Linux stack and a lot across all Debian Repositories and beyond ...

To reiterate it - which is well deserved:
            Thanks a lot to all KDE developers and contributors - a very good job and really appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

Nice feature. I have a feeling that self-extracting .exe files​ felt out of use though.​
              That's why it's so important. You're most likely to encounter them in places such as long-shelved homebrew games or downloads from defunct DRM-free game stores where you're not getting something newer.

Comment

Originally posted by dumb ways to code View Post

Are these fixes to issues highlighted by him?
                I know the panel editing thing was noted by him in his video.

Comment

- Allowing XWayland windows to get clipboard contents even if they don't have keyboard focus, since the restricted behavior was breaking some XWayland/X11-based apps/
                  That looked bad, but the actual commit mentions only updating, not reading the clipboard:
                  X11 did not have a requirement that apps needed keyboard focus to update a clipboard. Apps could copy things on click. With context menus and grabs there can...

X11 did not have a requirement that apps needed keyboard focus to update a clipboard. Apps could copy things on click. With context menus and grabs there can be no active window at this point.

Kwin tried to retrofit a requirement, which doesn't work in all cases.

Whilst there are security implications of reading a clipboard there are no security issues about pushing a new clipboard. Gnome also allows X11 apps to push to the clipboard at any point.
                  That should be corrected in both Michael and ngraham articles.

Comment

Originally posted by ozeszty View Post
                    That looked bad, but the actual commit mentions only updating, not reading the clipboard:
                    X11 did not have a requirement that apps needed keyboard focus to update a clipboard. Apps could copy things on click. With context menus and grabs there can...

That should be corrected in both Michael and ngraham articles.
                    Yeah, I messed this up by misunderstanding the change. I've already corrected the post.

Comment

Working...
                    X