Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop!_OS Upgrades To The Linux 6.8 Kernel

Phoronix: Pop!_OS Upgrades To The Linux 6.8 Kernel

Besides its desktop-level customizations, further differentiating System76's Pop!_OS Linux distribution from its Ubuntu LTS package base is the tendency to roll down newer versions of the upstream Linux kernel once validated across System76's portfolio of laptops and desktops. The latest on that front is Pop!_OS now shipping with the fresh Linux 6.8 stable series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They also update to newer Mesa versions as they become available.

Comment

Yayyyyy new update

Comment

If anybody still wants to recommend Pop for beginners in general, this article shows why it's not.

once validated across System76's portfolio of laptops and desktops.
        Pop isn't made for general usage, only for usage on their own hardware. It may run on other hardware too but there won't be testing for it, so chances are high you'll run into issues.

Comment

The most exciting thing for me in Linux 6.8 is the TCP performance improvements. Can't wait until it lands in servers and routers.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post
            If anybody still wants to recommend Pop for beginners in general, this article shows why it's not.

Pop isn't made for general usage, only for usage on their own hardware. It may run on other hardware too but there won't be testing for it, so chances are high you'll run into issues.
            That is 100% FALSE. Why are you spreading lies?

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

What is not true? That there is no big company behind the distribution and therefore they don't have any proper QA?

On the contrary, it poses a danger to beginners and people who are not aware of the risks of deploying such fresh software.

We could discuss security risks further.

It's like a backup.​

However, if the user is aware of all the risks, then I agree that concerns about hardware problems are overblown, as someone above writes.

Comment

Tbh I'm more concerned about the lack of secure boot support

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

Good luck disproving anything I wrote,

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                    However, if the user is aware of all the risks, then I agree that concerns about hardware problems are overblown, as someone above writes.
                    Not talking about concerns though, but real life experience. Back when I used that dumpsterfire, every single major Kernel update came with yet another annoying issue. Even Debian Testing is leaps and bounds more stable and thus usable.

Comment

Working...
                    X