Microsoft Helping Out In Making The Linux Kernel Language More Inclusive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Helping Out In Making The Linux Kernel Language More Inclusive

Phoronix: Microsoft Helping Out In Making The Linux Kernel Language More Inclusive

With time Microsoft's Linux kernel contributions have extended beyond just the initial business focus on Hyper-V support and other needs for Azure as well as around Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) to more general contributions. Microsoft has also hired more key Linux contributors along with stakes in other projects like systemd. Earlier this week were patches from a Microsoft engineer working out Rust language improvements for the Linux kernel while now in ending out the holiday weekend are patches for making the Linux kernel language more inclusive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thumbs up for making it consistent. About inclusiveness... the jury's still out.

Comment

Useless waste of time. Github changed from master -> main years ago, and as I understand it didn't even put a dent in slavery anywhere in the world.

I'm sure someone out that will be triggered by the word "Target" too.

Comment

We're on the brim of maintainer burnout, and now it's getting even more patches with (1.) questionable value and (2.) which look so trivial one might be tempted to just handwave them in, something that no one should now lightly do after the xz debacle.

Comment

Nice. That pull request literally ended racism.

Comment

Top tier virtue signalling that will make zero difference, and will be used to class those who disagree with these changes at racist etc.

People aren't not contributing to Linux because of terms in the source code, people are not contributing to Linux because the development process is backwards and unwelcoming (e.g. the mailing list, Linus rants).

The terms being used is word washing, the bad things sometimes associated with these words came after the word itself, if we had to ban every word that could be used in a malicious way we'd be left with nothing.

I can think of better ways to make Linux development actually more inclusive

- Setup a proper development and contribution system fit for the modern age
            - Fund and promote organisations that encourage children to learn how to code, especially low-level.

There are so many ways to make the world better and more equal, replacing terms in source code is not one of them.

Comment

Microsoft Helping Out In Making The Linux Kernel Language More Inclusive
              What does this even mean?

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              Top tier virtue signalling that will make zero difference, and will be used to class those who disagree with these changes at racist etc.
              So based on what you said, if it means what I think it means, it won't make zero difference, it'll just drive some of the better developers away, which serves microsoft quite well doesn't it?

Originally posted by tildearrow

Eventually all words will be offensive and we will be forced to stay mute.
              There is no eventual about it, I used to be quite talkitive online, now I mostly just keep my mouth shut online except in private chats, because if I so much as say I don't like something someone's feelings get hurt and I get banned or whatever. You aren't allowed to have opinions that aren't considered "positive" by whoever the admins of any site are on most places on the internet already, today, eventually there won't be humans talking at all in public online spaces and we'll just have AI echo chambers everywhere, hell we're already seeing that quite a bit.
              Last edited by rabcor; 30 March 2024, 01:57 PM.

Comment

People here are really Offended and get Triggered when somebody removes the word "Slave" from anywhere, as if using "Slave" made sense in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

What does this even mean?
                  Woke shit.

Comment

im glad microsoft is helping out with making the linux kernel more inclusive. this is very nice and welcomed.

Comment

Working...
                    X