Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo Web Engine Adds WOFF2 Web Fonts, HTML Tables By Default

Phoronix: Servo Web Engine Adds WOFF2 Web Fonts, HTML Tables By Default

The Servo Web Engine under the stewardship of Linux Foundation Europe and with ongoing contributions by the likes of Igalia and other developers continues having a very vibrant year. The open-source developers involved remain very busy getting this Rust-written web layout engine into good shape for possible use as an embed-friendly solution for other software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"More details on the Servo web engine progress during March 2023 can be found via the Servo.org blog.​"

March 2024 😉

Comment

Lots of cool things comming to servo soonish, IIRC some controller stuff has landed or landing soon, there is a draft PR for tabs (held back on another PR) some flexbox work and more. Perhaps next year will be the year of the servo browser (at least competing with Gnome web, angelfish (or is ti anglefish? can never remeber) etc). Im certainly looking forwards to where servo is going.

EDIT: videos still don't work for me on the precompiled binary, don't have the storage space to build servo myself right now however lol.
      Last edited by Quackdoc; 30 March 2024, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Fast forwarding 3 years in the future, I hope by then servo is taking over the embedded apps space. I absolutely hate electron-based UIs for absurd amount of resources they use (I'm looking at you, slack).

Comment

Originally posted by hkupty View Post
          Fast forwarding 3 years in the future, I hope by then servo is taking over the embedded apps space. I absolutely hate electron-based UIs for absurd amount of resources they use (I'm looking at you, slack).
          sadly I dont think servo will actually be a massive improvement over cef/blink/electron/whatever for this. It will be some im sure. but im not sure how large.

for system webview stuff, I can see it helping a lot since linux apps currently default to GTK, for some cursed reason im sure, which uses webkit. (QT at least uses chromium). so if GTK should migrate, or you use a different webview framework (like tauri for instance, currently uses webkitgtk but has plans on supporting servo eventually) Servo could help out here for sure.

but when comparing it to blink/cef etc. Servo will have to pull some real magic for this to happen in 3 years. I would love to see it too, but im just not confident it can happen.

Comment

Seems to be picking up a bit of speed. Maybe in a few years it will be useful. Time will tell

Comment

Servo had its chance and missed at its peak. If it were possible to make servo usable, we would already use it on Firefox

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                Servo had its chance and missed at its peak. If it were possible to make servo usable, we would already use it on Firefox
                Ah yes, this is why multiple parties are funding developers to work on servo now, to make an unusable product

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

I don't see it this way. I believe mozilla made a pretty shitty move and screwed up the initiative. They built the hype than silently pretended nothing ever happened, defunded the project and let go of the team. And I think everyone agrees that mozilla's management isn't the best, so we can't just claim that was a reasonable technical decision given there's no trust.

Time will tell.

Comment

I don't see it this way. I believe mozilla made a pretty shitty move and screwed up the initiative. They built the hype than silently pretended nothing ever happened, defunded the project and let go of the team. And I think everyone agrees that mozilla's management isn't the best, so we can't just claim that was a reasonable technical decision given there's no trust.

Time will tell.
                    This happened during the big restructuring mozilla did Note that it was also around this time that firefox stopped creating innovations in web tech that people actually cared about. and instead shifted focus into bagging crap and turning mozilla into another producer of shitware

Comment

Working...
                    X