No announcement yet.

NetBSD 10.0 Released With Much Improved Hardware Support & Faster Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD 10.0 Released With Much Improved Hardware Support & Faster Performance

Phoronix: NetBSD 10.0 Released With Much Improved Hardware Support & Faster Performance

After being in development since 2019, the huge NetBSD 10.0 is out today as a wonderful Easter surprise...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Many great improvements - but what made it take so long?

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
      NetBSD is a very small community, what exactly do you expect, them churning out releases every year?

Comment

Could we get some benchmarks comparing 10.0 to 9.3 Michael? Assuming you have hardware that is supported. Probably would be best to try something at least 5 years old and a desktop not a laptop. This is such an exciting release!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          Could we get some benchmarks comparing 10.0 to 9.3 Michael? Assuming you have hardware that is supported. Probably would be best to try something at least 5 years old and a desktop not a laptop. This is such an exciting release!
          Yes I have interest in doing so but yes hardware support concerns has been my main hesitation without going down a rabbit hole of spending a lot of time to see what works nicely first with NetBSD 9. Not thinking of laptops but either desktops or more than likely I would assume servers (unless there is more NetBSD desktop use these days than servers?) given the use-case. But yeah will try to see what relatively modern servers I can get working well on NetBSD 9 within a few tries to be able to do such a comparison.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Why (Net)BSD over Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
              It takes a long time because NetBSD supports 34 different architectures, the most of any OS. There's a 2020 blog post by Aaron S. Jackson about getting NetBSD running on a VAX 4000 Model 300 from about 1990: http://aaronsplace.co.uk/blog/2020-0...-4000-300.html
              He also put up a video about it: https://piped.projectsegfau.lt/watch?v=MjzX9Sk5Ax0

Comment

Originally posted by and.elf View Post
                Why (Net)BSD over Linux?
                Why Coke over Pepsi? Both of these questions are dumb. Different humans like and are interested in different things.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Why Coke over Pepsi? Both of these questions are dumb. Different humans like and are interested in different things.
                  That's what I asked: what is the difference between them. Different goals, strategies, etc? I asked because I want to know what a quick search doesn't reveal.

Comment

Originally posted by and.elf View Post

That's what I asked: what is the difference between them. Different goals, strategies, etc? I asked because I want to know what a quick search doesn't reveal.
                    If you're too lazy to research what BSD is you're too lazy to use it. So stick with Linux is my recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                    X