Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.1 Merges Vulkan Support For Wayland Explicit Sync

Phoronix: Mesa 24.1 Merges Vulkan Support For Wayland Explicit Sync

Mesa 24.1's Vulkan windowing system integration (WSI) code now has support for the Wayland linux-drm-syncobj-v1 protocol for explicit synchronization support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So is this the fix (or at least a big part of it) to the long-standing known problem within GBM implicit sync?

The one EGL Streams was supposed to fix but Nvidia wouldn't properly support EGL Streams for the long term?

Comment

Finally. Seeing how rapidly explicit sync is getting taken care of now that Wayland has finally adopted it is really exciting.

I'm still not sure if I'd do it, but this opens up the possibility of switching to Linux on my main gaming rig.

Comment

So, what does this do? Or what problem does it solve that I as a end user could experience?

Comment

WSI WYG

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
            So, what does this do? Or what problem does it solve that I as a end user could experience?
            It offloads complexity from graphics driver to clients, allowing nvidia to finally work properly. Kind of like how vulkan offloads complexity to it's client, compared to opengl. And if done correctly in the client, this should allow for slightly better performance.
            Last edited by varikonniemi; 02 April 2024, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I love how it's a fairly small change yet there are so many people commenting on it and making sure it's solid!

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                I love how it's a fairly small change yet there are so many people commenting on it and making sure it's solid!
                I am going to assume for those people, this is massive.

Comment

Originally posted by SSJBurger View Post

I am going to assume for those people, this is massive.
                  It's ~ a hundred lines, isn't it?
                  Or did you mean massive in benefit?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                    So is this the fix (or at least a big part of it) to the long-standing known problem within GBM implicit sync?

The one EGL Streams was supposed to fix but Nvidia wouldn't properly support EGL Streams for the long term?

EGLStreams is what Nvidia wanted the Wayland ecosystem to go with, but the entire rest of the ecosystem told them to GTFO because GBM already existed.

Comment

Working...
                    X