Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 24.04 Beta Delayed Due To XZ Nightmare

Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.04 Beta Delayed Due To XZ Nightmare

The Ubuntu 24.04 beta won't be happening tomorrow as planned but has been pushed back by one week due to the XZ security nightmare and wanting to rebuild packages out of an abundance of caution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux don't need antiviruses

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
      the whole XZ attack is a completely different threat from viruses

Comment

I hope one day Ubuntu gets released a month too late, then we have it: Ubuntu 25.05

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
          I hope one day Ubuntu gets released a month too late, then we have it: Ubuntu 25.05
          What would be the point of that?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

What would be the point of that?
            The point of what exactly? The point of releasing later would be for any reason they need to, in example security (like now) or some changes in the back they need more testing than thought. Who knows what. It can be any reason to delay a release. I just want to see a .05 or 0.11 release at some point in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
              There was already Ubuntu 6.06 back in the day...
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

There was already Ubuntu 6.06 back in the day...
                But not .05 That was the first LTS, so they didn't have a deadline at that time. So I don't count it.

Comment

I don't think any antivirus can protect you against unknown backdoors implemented into your software packages and if it's known, maintainers can just fix the packages instead.

Comment

An antivirus works by comparing running processes and files against a given database. It doesn't magically catch undiscovered/zero-day exploits, which by the time they're announced, devs already roll security patches to mitigate them on affected systems.

Comment

Working...
                    X