Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Lands New Extension To Better Debug GPU Hangs

Phoronix: RADV Lands New Extension To Better Debug GPU Hangs

Samuel Pitoiset of Valve's open-source Linux graphics driver team has landed support in the RADV Vulkan driver for the Vulkan VK_EXT_device_address_binding_report extension with Mesa 24.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is good that someone is trying to tackle this.
    Biggest problem amd linux drivers has constant gpu resets and hangs. I would rather amd and radv team to focus on stability than to performance or new features. Stability is far more important than performance or new features. You understand this once you start using a pretty unstable drivers.
    You trying to browse the webs, it hangs
    You trying to watch a movie, it hangs
    You trying to play a game, it hangs.
    I don't get these hangs and resets on Windows so its not an hardware issue. And its pretty random. I have no idea how people can recommend amd over nvidia for linux users. Yes you can't use wayland but you have much more stable drivers.

Comment

Will this finally mean no more freezes with glitched graphics all over the screen after resuming from suspend?

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
        Will this finally mean no more freezes with glitched graphics all over the screen after resuming from suspend?
        No, it's not even remotely related. It just provides a way to debug gpu hangs, but it won't fix anything on it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by Rauros View Post
          It is good that someone is trying to tackle this.
          Biggest problem amd linux drivers has constant gpu resets and hangs. I would rather amd and radv team to focus on stability than to performance or new features. Stability is far more important than performance or new features. You understand this once you start using a pretty unstable drivers.
          You trying to browse the webs, it hangs
          You trying to watch a movie, it hangs
          You trying to play a game, it hangs.
          I don't get these hangs and resets on Windows so its not an hardware issue. And its pretty random. I have no idea how people can recommend amd over nvidia for linux users. Yes you can't use wayland but you have much more stable drivers.
          i did not have any hangs with my amd hardware in many years... can you tell us what hardware you use and what linux distro you use as a os ?
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

i did not have any hangs with my amd hardware in many years... can you tell us what hardware you use and what linux distro you use as a os ?
            I have 7900 xt. I tried different distros (arch, nobara, fedora, opensuse, popos), different mesa versions, kernel versions (from 6.4 to 6.9) they all have these resets problems. It is not a hardware problem or distro problem. Look at the links there are way too many people having some GCVM_L2_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS or *ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out or ERROR ring gfx timeout​ or flip_done timed out errors. I've been driving windows now for the last 5 months and I played tons of games. Not a single crash.

And look at this https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...ould_get_right
            I see similar post in linux_gaming or in r/linux subredit every week and every week people are downvoting it and telling to person that they never had a problem it must be an hardware defect or must be special to some games. Or they tell that these things happens with nvidia too. I used nvidia for 6 years and i was regularly visiting their forums etc. I remember people having problem with xwayland or missing features but tbh i don't remember people having so many hang and reset problems that is not solved for 4 years now.

If this is an hardware defect then amd doing really terrible job with their hardware and we should avoid at all cost. Considering so many people are having these issues.
            If this is special to *some* games then mesa guys is doing terrible jobs but I know that these errors can be reproducible in amdvlk as well.

​

Comment

GPU hang w/ATI hw what a surprise! And that was why I went yeah no, and their incomplete standards support... oh and poor compute perf...

Comment

I have no idea how people can recommend amd over nvidia for linux users.
                Because we have a different experience. I went from a 1080ti which worked pretty under X but used to get some game crashes to a 6800xt which is solid.
                I used Nvidia cards for about 20 years as they did provide the best experience (linux or windows) so I wouldn't say I'm an AMD fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by writequit View Post

Because we have a different experience. I went from a 1080ti which worked pretty under X but used to get some game crashes to a 6800xt which is solid.
                  I used Nvidia cards for about 20 years as they did provide the best experience (linux or windows) so I wouldn't say I'm an AMD fanboy.
                  Sorry, I'm not saying you're an amd fanboy. my nvidia card used to crashes in some games too but that was it crashing the game not gpu hangs where i had to do hard reboot. amd's problem is not an hardware problem. its a firmware issue, which is reported by so many different people. and now tinygrad are having similar issues with their amd cards as well.

amd will never be an successful company if they can't prioritize software over hardware. and we as linux community needs to stop apologetic toward amd and demand them to do better.

Comment

My experience with AMD is that these random issues that crop up from time-to-time are still miles better than everything I had to endure with NVIDIA.
                    I'm not a zealot though. Seeing the progress with Nouveau and NVK is encouraging to the point that I may consider NVIDIA once again if it gets good enough by the time it comes time to upgrade ("good enough" being at least as good as RADV if not better).

Comment

Working...
                    X