No announcement yet.

OpenZFS Merges Support For Using Multiple Task Queues To Increase Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS Merges Support For Using Multiple Task Queues To Increase Performance

Phoronix: OpenZFS Merges Support For Using Multiple Task Queues To Increase Performance

The OpenZFS file-system has merged support for using multiple task queues (TaskQs) to enhance performance for multi-core systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Although my biggest cause of noticeable, storage related slowdowns with ZFS is self-caused: Using Zstd-19 on a couple volumes. Luckily my 8 core system squeaks by the minimum requirements to make use of this. That makes me wonder if 4/6 core systems could make use of 2 TaskQ threads or if it should be tunable to override the table.

Comment

Wow, that's an amazing improvement. I'm glad I switched to Cachyos with integrated OpenZFS support so I can use it with zero hassles and disruptions now. Their optimized Arch packages + OpenZFS make it the best Linux distro I've ever run.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
        Wow, that's an amazing improvement. I'm glad I switched to Cachyos with integrated OpenZFS support so I can use it with zero hassles and disruptions now. Their optimized Arch packages + OpenZFS make it the best Linux distro I've ever run.
        Same but with NixOS for me.

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post

Same but with NixOS for me.
          NixOS is intriguing but Cachyos does everything for me, from building optimized packages to maintaining its own OpenZFS branch that's compatible with each kernel release.

Don't get me wrong though, I like NixOS. I just prefer something more simple in my old age. Using a rolling distro is fraught with extra complications no matter which you choose, but so far I've found Cachyos finally relieves me of most of them, in the simplest way possible.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

NixOS is intriguing but Cachyos does everything for me, from building optimized packages to maintaining its own OpenZFS branch that's compatible with each kernel release.

Don't get me wrong though, I like NixOS. I just prefer something more simple in my old age. Using a rolling distro is fraught with extra complications no matter which you choose, but so far I've found Cachyos finally relieves me of most of them, in the simplest way possible.
            NixOS is not a rolling release (unless you use the nixpkgs-unstable branch).
            Also, I think NixOS uses CachyOS patches for their Linux+OpenZFS derivation.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

Which derivation is this? There was some open ticket on the NixOs github specifically on the point of using x86-64-v3 optimized packages and it was kinda going nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

Oh, I wasn't aware of that aviallon. In any case as I said I like NixOS, I just prefer something simpler. And if NixOS is already using CachyOS packages for some things I might as well stick with CachyOS and wallow in the simplicity.

But I sincerely understand that some users want even more fine grained control over the kernel and associated software they install, and that's where distros like NixOS and, for the ultimate control, Gentoo, really shine.

As I often say the beauty of Linux is the plethora of choices. Nothing is shoved down users throats without their consent, and if anyone tries their distro or software will be abandoned by most.

All I ask is that if anyone finds a particular distro or software package or information resource valuable that they at least occasionally donate to it. The vast majority of users never donate to developers or reporters at all, and they can't exist solely on good wishes and complements. They need money like all of us or they, and their projects or publications, will cease to exist. So when users come across something they really like please go to Patreon, or whatever donation portal they utilize, and throw a few dollars their way. And if you can afford it become a subscriber and donate monthly.

Linux exists for the benefit of all of us. And depends upon all of us to thrive, and survive.
                Last edited by muncrief; 06 April 2024, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X