Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE On The Importance Of Wayland Explicit Sync

Phoronix: KDE On The Importance Of Wayland Explicit Sync

With the recent Mesa 24.1 support for Wayland explicit sync with Vulkan drivers, GNOME merging explicit sync support, Wayland-Protocols 1.34 introducing linux-drm-syncobj, and XWayland explicit sync also nearing the state of being merged, there's been much talk recently about Wayland explicit sync. KDE KWin developer Xaver Hugl has written a detailed blog post for those interested in the topic...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great blog post. I indeed experience flickering with Nvidia on Wayland. Looking forward to it being implemented everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
      Great blog post. I indeed experience flickering with Nvidia on Wayland. Looking forward to it being implemented everywhere.
      With the 967 xwayland MR, this improves a lot.
      But its still suggested to just run application as long as possible in native wayland, many sadly just launch with xwayland even thought wayland native works without any issues and dont have any flickering/backtracking at all.

But the 555 driver will be a great for all supported nvidia cards.

Comment

Tremendous progress, maybe the 15 year old wayland will become usable within the next five years.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
          Tremendous progress, maybe the 15 year old wayland will become usable within the next five years.
          the issue is because of nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post

With the 967 xwayland MR, this improves a lot.
            But its still suggested to just run application as long as possible in native wayland, many sadly just launch with xwayland even thought wayland native works without any issues and dont have any flickering/backtracking at all.

But the 555 driver will be a great for all supported nvidia cards.
            I'm afraid we need to wait for 560 driver, Explicit Sync won't be added in 555 driver.
            There was mention about it from nvidia guy on twitter few days back. Can't look for it now as twitter is banned on my VPN used in work.

Comment

So much wasted manpower to overcome prop. driver problems.

Wth Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Spajdrex View Post

I'm afraid we need to wait for 560 driver, Explicit Sync won't be added in 555 driver.
                There was mention about it from nvidia guy on twitter few days back. Can't look for it now as twitter is banned on my VPN used in work.
                If you would have the tweet at a later point I would welcome that.
                According Erik Kurz he told me that the ETA for explicit sync and the 555 Driver will be the 15 May.

Also he said that the vulkan explicit sync implentation wont be included and this one will come with the 560 ones.

This implements the explicit sync linux-drm-syncobj-v1 protocol for EGL. This pull request exists to publicize our EGL implementation of explicit sync that we have been using to test the Mutter and...

Comment

Hopefully this means no more lagging VSCode when I use the integrated terminal!

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                    So much wasted manpower to overcome prop. driver problems.

Wth Nvidia.
                    Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post

the issue is because of nvidia
                    It really isn't only about NVIDIA.
                    Implicit sync that's currently used in Linux is an inferior design. Every modern OS has moved to explicit sync in some form. Vulkan is based around it, and currently requires workarounds all over the graphical stack to make it work with implicit sync. Collabora posted an article explaining those issues.
                    One could even argue that by being so stubborn NVIDIA has pushed the entire Linux graphics ecosystem forward, but it's not the whole truth. Everyone will benefit from explicit sync being properly supported.

Comment

Working...
                    X