Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.9-rc3 Released With Many Bcachefs Patches

Phoronix: Linux 6.9-rc3 Released With Many Bcachefs Patches

Linux 6.9-rc3 is released and most notable are the Bcachefs fixes to which Torvalds quipped, "if you had a corrupted bcachefs filesystem you'd probably want this, and if you thought bcachefs was stable already, I have a bridge to sell you. Special deal only for you, real cheap." Plus various other fixes throughout...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here's hoping things will settle down soon. More bugs are inevitable when stuff gets a wider audience. Not to mention it's under heavy development. So it's difficult to move fast yet remain stable. I wish them all the best nevertheless.

And please spare us from the perpetual drama between "this will be great" vs "this is doomed to fail" gangs, there's nothing that hasn't been said already. At this point it's pure noise.

Comment

I like Linus' style!
      Stretch the rules a bit and merge the patches (showing trust in Kent's impressive and unusual output), but also acknowledge the transgression and do some gentle teasing about filesystem maturity; I think this will keep the exceptions under control.

Comment

Patience is the key of joy; but haste is the key of sorrow

Comment

It's really stupid when people mock bcachefs at this point. It is absolutely clear that it is not yet in a "production-ready" state just because it's included in the kernel (what is, lol).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            It's really stupid when people mock bcachefs at this point. It is absolutely clear that it is not yet in a "production-ready" state just because it's included in the kernel (what is, lol).
            I agree and I'm also tired of the arguments. I'm happy it's in the kernel and best case scenario we've got another great filesystem.

That some people feel the need to tease bcachefs though is understandable after having to listen to its fanboys touting it's obvious superiority to all existing solutions for so many years.

Comment

Always nice to see more bcachefs work. I haven't had any corruptions yet but im sure when it does eventually happen, Ill be able to get back up and running soon after. I don't envy the people who will be doing the eventual rust re-write for this stuff though lol.

Comment

I tested bcachefs and it works as expected and for my tests. When it is at a reliable and performance level similar to btrfs, I will transition to it. While I would prefer zfs, to btrfs or bcachefs, I am not able to dedicate a full disk to zfs. Give me a partition based zfs and I will be first in line to test same.

Comment

Originally posted by lsatenstein View Post
                  I tested bcachefs and it works as expected and for my tests. When it is at a reliable and performance level similar to btrfs, I will transition to it. While I would prefer zfs, to btrfs or bcachefs, I am not able to dedicate a full disk to zfs. Give me a partition based zfs and I will be first in line to test same.
                  You can already give zfs a partition, or even just a file on another partition. It doesn't care and I don't think it ever did in the recent past

Comment

Linus said: "more sound SoC noise than is common".

Perhaps he needs to mute his speakers........

Comment

Working...
                    X