Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS Now Shipping With Vulkan Support By Default

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS Now Shipping With Vulkan Support By Default

For those running the official Raspberry Pi OS on Raspberry Pi 4 and 5 series single board computers, the Mesa V3DV Vulkan driver is now shipping by default to provide for a better out-of-the-box experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is weird they didn't include the Vulkan drivers until now. It's my understanding that they have been stable for long, and they were included in other OS like Lakka for years now.

Even if it wasn't stable enough, a low powered device like Raspberry Pi 4-5 really needed Vulkan, for both speed and compatibility (since it doesn't support modern OpenGL but OpenGLES).

Comment

Originally posted by Rccero View Post
      It is weird they didn't include the Vulkan drivers until now. It's my understanding that they have been stable for long, and they were included in other OS like Lakka for years now.

Even if it wasn't stable enough, a low powered device like Raspberry Pi 4-5 really needed Vulkan, for both speed and compatibility (since it doesn't support modern OpenGL but OpenGLES).
      It supports desktop OpenGL 3.1, but I haven't seen any more progress to 3.2 from them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post

It supports desktop OpenGL 3.1, but I haven't seen any more progress to 3.2 from them yet.
        It's mobile GPU so it's probably not capable of supporting newer OpenGL versions. Software emulation would be probably to slow to be usable for anything that would require modern OpenGL. OpenGL 3 and OpenGL ES are enough for running accelerated desktops.

Comment

if only they would let go of LXDE and upgrade to LXQt......................... already!

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
            if only they would let go of LXDE and upgrade to LXQt......................... already!
            IIRC Raspberry Pi OS switched to Wayfire in 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post

IIRC Raspberry Pi OS switched to Wayfire in 2023.
              "GreatScott"!!! I was not aware of that!!!

Finally they ditch the old thing!!! (well kind of... they still use some parts of it, like pcmanfm for the desktop background, for ex....)

But thanks for point it out!!!

I was so disgusted that i stayed away from it and missed that news...

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
                They develop the actual successor of LXDE called Pixel Desktop and are currently working on switching over that to Wayland via a wayfire based compositor.
                So no, they won't use the absolute failure that is LXQt, fatter, slower, worse code quality, dependence on commercial products.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

the absolute failure that is LXQt, fatter, slower, worse code quality, dependence on commercial products.
                  Definitely not my view of it, but hey... that's an opinion! What's good about this is that anyone can have it's own

Comment

Working...
                  X