AMD Announces Versal Gen 2 Adaptive SoCs - AI Focused & Newer Arm Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Versal Gen 2 Adaptive SoCs - AI Focused & Newer Arm Cores

Phoronix: AMD Announces Versal Gen 2 Adaptive SoCs - AI Focused & Newer Arm Cores

AMD is using the Embedded World conference in Bavaria for today introducing their Versal Series Gen 2 SoCs for AI-driven embedded systems. Today's embargo lift covers the Versal AI Edge Series Gen 2 and Versal Prime Series Gen 2 Adaptive SoCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wondering if they will eventually change from Mali to Radeon in the future.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing in regards to ARM and X86.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Unless AMD can find a way to either match or beat ARM performance per watt wise, I think that they will have to eventually release an ARM Ryzen cpu.

If not, they might end up forgotten and left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Unless AMD can find a way to either match or beat ARM performance per watt wise, I think that they will have to eventually release an ARM Ryzen cpu.

If not, they might end up forgotten and left behind.
          I'm surprised they haven't released more X86/ARM hybrids like the PS4 has for both that same reason and to tout how they're the hardware solution that both ARM and x86 platforms can upgrade to; especially if there could be a BIOS switch to set which cores are primary and secondary. Utilize a Xilinx FPGA, give it some AI cores, mix in some Radeon GPU cores, and we'd have ourselves one hell of a jack of all trades CPU.

It's crazy what AMD could do if they'd just let a few of their mad scientists run wild in the labs with their full portfolio of patented technologies.

Comment

I'm surprised they haven't released more X86/ARM hybrids like the PS4 has for both that same reason and to tout how they're the hardware solution that both ARM and x86 platforms can upgrade to; especially if there could be a BIOS switch to set which cores are primary and secondary. Utilize a Xilinx FPGA, give it some AI cores, mix in some Radeon GPU cores, and we'd have ourselves one hell of a jack of all trades CPU.

It's crazy what AMD could do if they'd just let a few of their mad scientists run wild in the labs with their full portfolio of patented technologies.
            Give them time, those mergers are still recent.

I mean, they ended creating the Threadripper in a similar way.
            Last edited by NeoMorpheus; 09 April 2024, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Unlikely, both AMD and Intel use other cores (ARM, ARC, etc.) whenever it makes more sense. x86 is a binary compatibility thing that guarantees sales to the windows users market.
              In the embedded world binary compatibility is not that important, most of your software is compiled all at once with the same toolchain, and updates happen for the whole runtime, not just this, and the piece.

Comment

Still want to see AMD digging up K12's front-end, slapping it onto Zen5 and "glueing" these compute chiplets to the same IO die. Oh, and an FPGA chiplet pretty please)

Comment

Originally posted by klokik View Post

Unlikely, both AMD and Intel use other cores (ARM, ARC, etc.) whenever it makes more sense. x86 is a binary compatibility thing that guarantees sales to the windows users market.
                  In the embedded world binary compatibility is not that important, most of your software is compiled all at once with the same toolchain, and updates happen for the whole runtime, not just this, and the piece.
                  I was considering desktop and workstation AI usage for Windows and Linux users in regards to an x86+Radeon AI based APU. FWIW, already we have really close with some of the 8000 series and 9000 series APUs. Apparently AMD 8000 series APUs could have had better processing and graphics performance if it wasn't for the added NPU for AI workloads.

Comment

Working...
                  X