Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.23 Planned For Release Around The End Of May

Phoronix: Wayland 1.23 Planned For Release Around The End Of May

Wayland 1.22 released at the start of April 2023 while now Wayland 1.23 is taking shape as the next version of this core Wayland code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

dynamically resizing connection buffers
    Does this fix the longstanding issue of moving the mouse too fast can cause application stalls/crashes?

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post

Does this fix the longstanding issue of moving the mouse too fast can cause application stalls/crashes?
      Where was it standing? I don't see that where I stand.

Comment

don't be ridiculous, it only happens with 1000+ hz mouse and a severely underpowered system under starvation.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

don't be ridiculous, it only happens with 1000+ hz mouse and a severely underpowered system under starvation.
          I know that.

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Where was it standing? I don't see that where I stand.
          I personally don't see it either that's why I was asking. My understanding is that under some usecases the hardcoded queue length of Wayland can get full. I remember reading that GNOME already fixed this instead of waiting for a proper fix in libwayland. Is this that fix?

Comment

Looks like it, based on this pull request merged 2 days ago which is reported to fix said "socket filling up with mouse movement on unresponsive applications" issue (wayland/wayland#159).
            Keep client connection buffers unbound but add an API set set the max buffer size for connection buffers on the server side. The default max buffer...

Comment

I wish they finally added HDR...

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                I wish they finally added HDR...
                Nope, the activity around colo(u)r management happens in wayland-protocols repo and it’s still very much a WIP. It’ll be like this for some months/years to come.

Comment

I love all the stuff happening with Wayland and in the graphics space. I am no expert, but seems like progress is happening, so many cool and interesting window managers coming, etc. And the lower-level graphics "plumbing" keeps improving. I first installed Linux around 2001 on a cast-off DX468 that I had to take the bus a good half an hour away to track down an IDE CD ROM drive for so I could install. I was so excited when I was able to get the graphics going and launch TWM. I couldn't do much with that machine, but I made it work!

Linux was never my "daily driver", but I've consistently tried different things, done hundred of different installations in virtual machines just to learn and try things out - then toss, rinse, and repeat. Lately at home I'm booting up into Linux more and more. As I said already, I'm not an expert, but I'm not all that clueless as well.

In addition to graphics-level progress, we have (at least close to if not fully) pro-level audio with PipeWire pretty much default, and so much more. Obviously there is more still that can happen, but things are happening. A lot of people like to complain about so much, and of course healthy and constructive debate is good to sort things out, but other than that I say let's just keep getting it done!

Comment

I wonder if any other news-worthy things have happened in the Wayland space recently... 👀

Totally unrelated, but how does this affect Hyperland?

Comment

Working...
                    X