Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 14 Compiler Adds AArch64 GNU/Hurd Support

Phoronix: GCC 14 Compiler Adds AArch64 GNU/Hurd Support

While GNU Hurd continues having a tough time on x86 support and GNU Hurd x86_64 is being worked toward, the GCC 14 compiler has been working on compiler toolchain support for GNU Hurd AArch64...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/ng.html - There is a next generation Hurd in planning...

Comment

they sure look lazy
      problems rise in 2007/they thought of a solution in 2014 but not implemented/no more updates for that conversation (in 2024)

edit: i have no clue what it is...if its a software or hardware thing this article is about
      edit 2: just to be clear i'm refering to Hurd
      Last edited by loganj; 11 April 2024, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
        https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/ng.html - There is a next generation Hurd in planning...
        "Last edited 2014-01-12 12:30:18 UTC" on that page, though ​

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          just to be clear i'm refering to Hurd
          Hurd is a Kernel, that was started before Linux (or about at that time, but plans go even before Linux started). It works a little bit different, but since Linux they did not work much on it. Its partially funded by Debian (from what I read).

I truly believe the Hurd project would get much more attention and would be quicker ready for use with a rewrite in Rust. I'm not even joking.

Comment

Is anyone actually using the hurd kernel for anything?

Comment

hurd is a pie in the sky project that has never been functional, some hackers trying to force "microkernel" even when no-one ever has successfully managed to do so for desktop.

Where microkernels have worked are embedded use cases with very specific and restricted goals, and in such use cases i don't know if it is even proper to talk about them as kernels in the same sense as what we usually use the word for. As they have in essence been more or less hardcoded event dispatchers for very limited hardware constraints.
              '
              Try to do general purpose OS? It simply won't work. And here i am only talking about basic CPU driven code execution. Just imagine the problems when at some point someone tries to interface with modern graphics cards from a microkernel...
              Last edited by varikonniemi; 11 April 2024, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                hurd is a pie in the sky project that has never been functional, some hackers trying to force "microkernel" even when no-one ever has successfully managed to do so for desktop.

Where microkernels have worked are embedded use cases with very specific and restricted goals, and in such use cases i don't know if it is even proper to talk about them as kernels in the same sense as what we usually use the word for. As they have in essence been more or less hardcoded event dispatchers for very limited hardware constraints.
                '
                Try to do general purpose OS? It simply won't work. And here i am only talking about basic CPU driven code execution. Just imagine the problems when at some point someone tries to interface with modern graphics cards from a microkernel...
                Correct me if I am wrong but isn't OS X a microkernel? I know for a fact that Minux was, the OS that Linux is based on, because in the 90's the inventor of Minux and Linus the inventor of Linux had a debate about Monolithic kernels and microkernels.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't OS X a microkernel? I know for a fact that Minux was, the OS that Linux is based on, because in the 90's the inventor of Minux and Linus the inventor of Linux had a debate about Monolithic kernels and microkernels.
                  Linus and Tannenbaum had the famous debate, but Linux is not based on Minix

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
                    Is anyone actually using the hurd kernel for anything?
                    I think Michael's testing accounts for 49% of all Hurd use.

Comment

Working...
                    X