Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Factory Achieves Bit-By-Bit Reproducible Builds

Phoronix: openSUSE Factory Achieves Bit-By-Bit Reproducible Builds

While Fedora 41 in late 2024 is aiming to have more reproducible package builds, openSUSE Factory has already achieved a significant milestone in bit-by-bit reproducible builds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic news for security!

Are there any other distributions which currently offer reproducible builds?

Comment

Really a great achievement.

Instead of making excuses they put their thinking caps on and got to work.

From a security standpoint, that now makes them my number one Linux distro to use when security is of the utmost importance.

I'm going to have to install it on my guinea pig system and give it a whirl.

Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

NixOS does. You can look at the reproducible-builds.org site for more informations.

Comment

Just asking, do reproducible builds work only when all libs have fixed versions (like those LTS Distros), or could it work when building against different versions of libraries (like Arch). If the second is true then How?
          I mean for a rolling release platform where libraries are updated continuously, does it make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
            Just asking, do reproducible builds work only when all libs have fixed versions (like those LTS Distros), or could it work when building against different versions of libraries (like Arch). If the second is true then How?
            I mean for a rolling release platform where libraries are updated continuously, does it make sense?
            Yes, the Layman version is the reproducible builds means that the build output I get on my system will be the same as upstream. That's regardless of how fast or slow the OS updates their source code. Once they update the code and release their binaries, we outta be able to rebuild it exactly the same as they did assuming everything and everyone is all setup in a reproducible manner. It helps verify that a MITM attack doesn't occur.

It can be argued that things that move as fast as possible could be more susceptible to MITM if they don't have some form of build replication and reproduction.

It can also be argued that all the bad actor has to do is target the reproducible build system. If everyone gets their code from the MITM, would he still be in the middle?

It can also, also be argued that RHEL will fucking hate this. Reproducible builds turned into distributions is basically what Rocky, Alma, etc are.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

NixOS does. You can look at the reproducible-builds.org site for more informations.
              Depends on the definition: https://linderud.dev/blog/nixos-is-not-reproducible/

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Not Linux distro but NetBSD can since version 8.0 https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/re...it_venice_2022

Comment

wait, what- won't the same source code compiled with the same dependencies provide the same binary?

anyway, opensuse is heavily underrated distribution

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                    wait, what- won't the same source code compiled with the same dependencies provide the same binary?

anyway, opensuse is heavily underrated distribution
                    No. Already something as simple as
                    Code:
                    __TIME__
                    and
                    Code:
                    __DATE__
                    make the build non-deterministic as they include the compilation time. Then there are funny things such as time stamps and possibly order of compilation that could influence the generated code. There is also a recent issue for GEGL where hardware information is introduced in the build (for some reason they have "runtime data" in /usr/share/ https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gegl/-/issues/368)

Comment

Working...
                    X