Niri 0.1.5 Scrollable-Tiling Wayland Compositor Adds New Animations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niri 0.1.5 Scrollable-Tiling Wayland Compositor Adds New Animations

Phoronix: Niri 0.1.5 Scrollable-Tiling Wayland Compositor Adds New Animations

Niri as an innovative, scrollable-tiling Wayland compositor is out today with its newest feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really cool stuff, I have some spare ssds here so I'm def giving it a try!

Comment

Niri is for sure fun. I highly reccomend it for some people. I plan on making a few custom things with it that will really make it quite the nice DE if I actually get them done

Comment

I haven't had the chance to try this yet but I am looking forward to eventually getting to it. It's very cool to see multiple stories about it on phoronix!

Comment

I installed Niri some time back via the Fedora Copr after reading about it here. I am starting to really like it. The default configuration file is super-clean and easy. The usage has really fit my mental flow coming from using a 3x3 workspace configuration (via VirtuaWin) in Windows for almost two decades.

I have played around with all sorts of new Wayland things, but I am starting to settle down with Cosmic for more of a traditional DE, and also having Sway and Niri available as more keyboard-centric options.

Comment

Originally posted by cassiofb-dev View Post
            Really cool stuff, I have some spare ssds here so I'm def giving it a try!
            I'm confused, why would you need extra ssds to install another wm?

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

I'm confused, why would you need extra ssds to install another wm?
              likely for a "clean slate" install which is not a bad idea. i've had dirty install mess up more then a couple things in the past

Comment

contrary to what I thought, it seems that having to develop a Wayland compositor, instead of working on top of X11, is encouraging new (interesting) projects.

not wanting to enter the war X11 vs Wayland here, just noticing a trend and wondering if it might be easier or more interesting.

or maybe it is just my perception. don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                  contrary to what I thought, it seems that having to develop a Wayland compositor, instead of working on top of X11, is encouraging new (interesting) projects.

not wanting to enter the war X11 vs Wayland here, just noticing a trend and wondering if it might be easier or more interesting.

or maybe it is just my perception. don't know.
                  probably both perception and realisty, there really is only so much you can do with just making a "window manager" or "x11 composite" thing. Wayland is a lot more flexible. there is a LOT out there for x11, its just all mostly dead now

Comment

Currently I use stumpwm because I can use lisp to add behaviour as example I have written some sort of rofi show window functionality that sorts the windows a certain way or can be selected through fuzzy matching. Sure a lot of it is rofi which could be added as shortcut here, too.

But don't remember why but rofi -show window doesn't allow me to do what I want so I use -show run with a list generated and transformed a list of windows from the stumpwm function, might be the sorting also I remove as example - Nightly from the browser name and other stuff. So I can't really take a window manager serious that doesn't have some sort of live repl to modify the functionality. But sure if it does exactly what you want and you don't want to have any deeper customization than go ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X