Acer Aspire One ARM Laptop To Have "Almost Full" Support With Linux 6.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer Aspire One ARM Laptop To Have "Almost Full" Support With Linux 6.10

Phoronix: Acer Aspire One ARM Laptop To Have "Almost Full" Support With Linux 6.10

The good news is that with the upcoming Linux 6.10 kernel cycle the ARM-based Acer Aspire One laptop will feature "almost full" support for this Qualcomm Snapdragon powered laptop. The downside though it's now a three year old device with far more interesting ARM laptops on the market and more powerful options coming to the market this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The day snapdragon comes with launch day Linux support is when things get interesting! It might not be that far in the future considering the recently announced partnership with ubuntu.

Comment

The downside though it's now a three year old device with far more interesting ARM laptops on the market and more powerful options coming to the market this year
      Indeed. But if people keep waiting for the "next best thing", then we are going to end up with loads of devices which are only semi-supported and very rough around the edges.

I have a cupboard full of such devices. I am sure we all do

Comment

Re-he-heeeeeley?! My Acer Aspire one (A150) is from 2008/2009 i think so it is about 16 years old. It is mostly used for ssh'ing here and there, and still works well for what it is. I used it for travelling back in the day since it was small and portable but these days cellphones have for the most part taken over as somewhere to store notes and photos when travelling.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          The day snapdragon comes with launch day Linux support is when things get interesting! It might not be that far in the future considering the recently announced partnership with ubuntu.
          What Canonical announced was for the embedded space (where specific versions with a dedicated BSP is the norm). Laptop/Desktop support will depend on QualComm up-streaming their various snapdragon enablement codes into the mainline kernel significantly earlier than they have ever done before, and likely open sourcing some of their current proprietary device support.

Comment

I have that laptop, but I haven't been able to make it boot from a Linux USB stick. Alpine is reported to work at least, I tried a few others too with no success. What am I missing here?

Comment

I just hope Snapdragon X elite will have full linux support if not on launch day, very close to it. That soc is very interesting to me and i think all around the world. If price is good compared to performance i will buy it instantly. Older snapdragon socs were very weak compared to anything on the market, had no linux support and were overpriced as hell.

Comment

Does anybody know if this support for the 7c helps with support for the 7c-based LIVA "WoA Development" (QC710) boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post
                  I just hope Snapdragon X elite will have full linux support if not on launch day, very close to it.
                  Linaro is doing the Linux work (Qualcomm has focused their efforts on Windows, where the (potential) real money is). While Linaro has things mostly working on the reference platform, the question is how individual manufacturers will package additional components for their laptop(s), and whether they will offer Linux drivers (soon, or at all).

Comment

I can't shake the feeling that ARM is the perpetual promise that never really materializes. For all its flaws, the X86_64 ecosystem is surprisingly open and well supported. ARM? Not so much. The base ISA is well supported, but from the boot-loaders to the proprietary add-ons and lack of open software, ARM is mostly a jumble of things that could be interesting for FOSS, but generally just aren't.

Comment

Working...
                    X