Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Prepping Fixes & Enhancements For P-State CPUFreq Driver

Phoronix: AMD Prepping Fixes & Enhancements For P-State CPUFreq Driver

The AMD P-State CPU frequency scaling driver for Zen 2 and newer processors has been working out well in its roughly two years of being in the mainline Linux kernel. The AMD P-State driver has helped with ensuring modern Ryzen systems are delivering optimal performance and power efficiency. Recently AMD Linux engineers have been working on a few fixes and enhancements to this CPUFreq driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So happy with this news as it affects my laptop ! Nice improvements!

Comment

I kind of miss any explanation about when this should be used over f.i. the performance governor. I have 40 servers with Zen2 and Zen4 64 Core CPUs, doing latency sensitive work. Do I chose performance or the P-State driver? Anyone know of some official guidance how to choose, outlining the drawbacks?

Comment

Originally posted by npwx View Post
        I kind of miss any explanation about when this should be used over f.i. the performance governor. I have 40 servers with Zen2 and Zen4 64 Core CPUs, doing latency sensitive work. Do I chose performance or the P-State driver? Anyone know of some official guidance how to choose, outlining the drawbacks?
        You are mixing up the drivers and the governors. There is the cpu freq driver (acpi_cpufreq, amd-pstate, intel-pstate, etc.) which provides the means to request a target performance level for the CPU, and the governor (performance, powersave, ondemand, etc.) which tells the cpu freq driver which performance level to use at any given time.

Comment

Working...
        X