Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Makes Progress On Dolby Vision Support

Phoronix: FFmpeg Makes Progress On Dolby Vision Support

The widely-used, open-source FFmpeg multimedia library has seen commits this week advancing its support for Dolby Vision...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the kind of thing I love to hear!
    It's crazy how important FFmpeg is, how many projects and products use it.

Comment

This is HUGE for HTPC

All Android TV devices are plagued with software problems like: outdated software, bloat & missing codecs.

Only blocker for DIY route is modern HDR (HDR10 / Dolby Vision) pass-through support
      Last edited by Kjell; 24 April 2024, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Hope this will be compatible with Android TV

My dream setup would be Waydroid with latest Android TV in a NUC / Mini-PC (to easily control it with a D-Pad wireless remote)
        Last edited by Kjell; 24 April 2024, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Android TV won't be able to implement DV support via FFmpeg-based multimedia software anyway, unless you're willing to use software decoding or wait for someone to migrate mediacodec hwaccel to an internal implementation.

Comment

edxposed Hmm perhaps "KDE Plasma Bigscreen" project would suffice?

To make HTPC convenient you'd need a TV oriented interface with D-Pad support (to easily launch apps (like Jellyfin / Youtube) and configure Audio & Display)

Comment

Considering that KDE already has experimental HDR WSI, HDR10 passthrough and HDR*->HDR10 tone-mapped output for DV/HDR10+ are feasible with just mpv. But HDR10+ and DV passthrough are still not practical, which requires Vulkan spec updates, driver support, compositor support, media software support, and resolution of potential legalissues, and all of these are at 0 progress.

Comment

edxposed All in all, Waydroid uses host's kernel - I figured I'd just wait for HDR support to be upstreamed (to kernel's drm/amdgpu and user-space graphics stack/MESA)

Had this idea since from the looks of it Waydroid gets hardware acceleration through MESA?
                Contribute to waydroid/android_external_mesa3d development by creating an account on GitHub.

#swiftshader for VM or NVIDIA ro.hardware.egl=mesa

#default for VM or NVIDIA
                ro.hardware.gralloc=gbm
                I suppose HDR pass-through would make sense once everything supports Vulkan like you've said
                Last edited by Kjell; 24 April 2024, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Getting HDR and HDR10+ hammered out is more beneficial to the userbase, as that's what the majority of computer displays and TVs support. What's the state of implementing those in the Linux ecosystem at this time?

Comment

I'm no expert on it, but does it means that on HDR10+ TV/monitor I might be able to enjoy Dolby vision possibly after some transcoding?

Comment

Working...
                    X