Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Downloads Now Available

Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Downloads Now Available

The release ISOs for Ubuntu 24.04 "Noble Numbat" are now available! Ubuntu 24.04 is an exciting Long Term Support (LTS) update with this new Linux distribution release being powered by the Linux 6.8 kernel, making use of Netplan for networking on the desktop, features the modernized desktop OS installer, various performance optimizations, and a ton of new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems there's still a few tasks for the Canonical team : https://warthogs.atlassian.net/browse/RTMP-1539

Comment

Code:
      I: Base system installed successfully.
      Nice . Debootstrap minimal installs for 24.04 have been failing for the last few months with the daily builds, and even through the beta release. But I just tried the final 24.04 ISO and it looks like whatever issue was blowing up with systemd earlier has been fixed. Rock on for anyone wanting to do a ZFSBootMenu install using debootstrap.

Comment

I am currently using the older LTS. I plan on doing a clean install with 24.04 next week.
        Very tempted to give Kde Ubuntu & the Gnome 46 versions a try after being on 22.04 for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
          I am currently using the older LTS. I plan on doing a clean install with 24.04 next week.
          Very tempted to give Kde Ubuntu & the Gnome 46 versions a try after being on 22.04 for so long.
          Kubuntu ISO files can be downloaded now from http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r...24.04/release/

Comment

What's the story with the ISO size inflation, it's up to 5.7GB now?? While the default package selection is more or less the same, it was
            4.7 GB in 22.04,
            4.1 GB in 20.04,
            2.3 GB in 18.04.
            That's like 0.5-1 GB increase per LTS release. I don't notice this trend with other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
              What's the story with the ISO size inflation, it's up to 5.7GB now?? While the default package selection is more or less the same, it was
              4.7 GB in 22.04,
              4.1 GB in 20.04,
              2.3 GB in 18.04.
              That's like 0.5-1 GB increase per LTS release. I don't notice this trend with other distros.
              Interresting as they reduced program count and switched to minimal installation by default

Comment

4.7 GB in 22.04,
                4.1 GB in 20.04,
                2.3 GB in 18.04.
                Snaps are large and Canonical continues to progressively replace native Debian upstream packages with Snaps.

Comment

Kind of insane that they didn't consider TPM FDE installs being broken to be a release blocker. That was the biggest feature of this release IMO.

Comment

4.7 GB in 22.04,
                    4.1 GB in 20.04,
                    2.3 GB in 18.04.
                    Curiously, Kubuntu 24.04 ISO is only 3.8 GB

( http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r...24.04/release/ )

Comment

Working...
                    X