Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.23 Alpha Released With OpenBSD Support & New APIs

Phoronix: Wayland 1.23 Alpha Released With OpenBSD Support & New APIs

As expected, the Wayland 1.23 Alpha release is now available as this next Wayland release looks to officially roll-out toward the end of May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What exactly changed in Wayland itself to support OpenBSD? OpenBSD got a somewhat-working port of Wayland during 7.5’s development cycle, it involved hacking libinput to support wscons and porting FreeBSD’s epoll-shim, because right now Wayland’s libraries are Linux-centric. Regardless, good to know Wayland devs are at least thinking a little about properly supporting platforms other than Linux.

Last edited by mxan; 25 April 2024, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Simor Ser

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
        What exactly changed in Wayland itself to support OpenBSD?
        This is public info. Did you miss it in the commit history?

Comment

Wayland 1.23 Alpha Released With OpenBSD Support

Resistance is futile...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Resistance is futile...
            She certainly knows more about colour than Waycrap 1.whatever does after 15 years of development.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
              What exactly changed in Wayland itself to support OpenBSD? OpenBSD got a somewhat-working port of Wayland during 7.5’s development cycle, it involved hacking libinput to support wscons and porting FreeBSD’s epoll-shim, because right now Wayland’s libraries are Linux-centric. Regardless, good to know Wayland devs are at least thinking a little about properly supporting platforms other than Linux.

https://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurob...nd-openbsd.pdf
              From the paper:
              Conclusion ... Even on Linux, Wayland still has a number of rough edges​
              A refreshing bit of honesty.

Comment

me sitting in the corner rocking back and forth muttering to myself ext-screencopy ext-layershell ext-workspace. ext-screencopy ext-layershell ext-workspace. ext-screencopy ext-layershell ext-workspace on repeat.

Seriously though, these I think are the last three major protocols we need for good general crossplatform use.

Layershell is needed for background managers, OSKs, and generally anything that needs always on bottom or always on top functionality

screencopy is needed for simple to use screenshot and screen recorder utilities. This can wind up being useful for all sorts of tools, including RDP/remote gaming tools and no. xdg portals is not a good solution. it's clunky at best.

ext-workspace is for workspace controls, not too much else to talk about there.

My other two runner ups are

foreign-toplevel-management: needed for app switchers, taskbars, etc. more or less a port of wlr-foreign-toplevel-management (lxqt will be using wlr top level management iirc)
                game-controller-v1: it's obvious, a protocol for handling game controllers fairly obvious why we need this.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  foreign-toplevel-management: needed for app switchers, taskbars, etc. more or less a port of wlr-foreign-toplevel-management (lxqt will be using wlr top level management iirc)
                  foreign-toplevel-management I think is being implemented as two different protocols, foreign-toplevel-list (merged) and foreign-toplevel-state. It seems foreign-toplevel-state is low priority and takes a long time to move forward

Comment

I'd like Wayfire to fix support for a few things (Blender not loading in Wayland mode for example) and I want a unified alt-tab. It's bullshit that every monitor has a separate alt-tab list of windows. I want one. At least provide the option in the settings somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X