Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Venus Vulkan Driver Updated To Allow QEMU Support

Phoronix: Mesa's Venus Vulkan Driver Updated To Allow QEMU Support

Mesa's Venus Vulkan driver has made cross-device functionality optional in order to enable QEMU support for this open-source driver for virtualized environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

latest venus patchset for those curious https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/htm.../msg00640.html

Comment

Oh so THAT'S why i couldn't get this shit working in qemu lol.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Oh so THAT'S why i couldn't get this shit working in qemu lol.
        The patches to support this on the qemu side are also missing. They were blocked on header changes to the kernel which I think are going to be in 6.10 so hopefully qemu 9.1 enables the support.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangogeddon View Post

The patches to support this on the qemu side are also missing. They were blocked on header changes to the kernel which I think are going to be in 6.10 so hopefully qemu 9.1 enables the support.
          for short term solutions, someone could probably wire up rutabaga, but I'm not sure how the guest side vulkan driver works at all, I have no idea if it's compatible with the venus ICD or not, I would assume no. I have no idea where to even find the userland driver code.

Comment

If the VirtIO GPU is ported to Windows, could this be used with VKD3D and/or DXVK to get faster Windows VMs in QEMU?

Comment

Originally posted by novideo View Post
              If the VirtIO GPU is ported to Windows, could this be used with VKD3D and/or DXVK to get faster Windows VMs in QEMU?
              It is being ported to Windows, and theoretically yes, but at first the speed up will be minor. The current state is enough for slightly more responsive 2D for the Windows Display Manager equivalent.

It will be a bit before accelerated 3D works or well. And I don't remember if they are going to be able to support Direct X acceleration, or just OpenGL, and Vulkan if we are lucky.

Comment

You have this: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/24223

Comment

virtio-gpu is the kernel driver (which has been ported), you still need virglrenderer (+ Venus). The work currently going on is for virgl or the opengl emulation, It by itself I doubt will be fast enough for "General use" like running a desktop + light games. Vulkan may be ported at some point in the future. This is majorly important, but you will also want D3D10UMD ported to Zink so you can get a fast enough desktop, and possibly also see it extneded to D3D11 but im not sure how critical that would be for perf

Comment

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
                    It is being ported to Windows, and theoretically yes, but at first the speed up will be minor. The current state is enough for slightly more responsive 2D for the Windows Display Manager equivalent.

It will be a bit before accelerated 3D works or well. And I don't remember if they are going to be able to support Direct X acceleration, or just OpenGL, and Vulkan if we are lucky.
                    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    virtio-gpu is the kernel driver (which has been ported), you still need virglrenderer (+ Venus). The work currently going on is for virgl or the opengl emulation, It by itself I doubt will be fast enough for "General use" like running a desktop + light games. Vulkan may be ported at some point in the future. This is majorly important, but you will also want D3D10UMD ported to Zink so you can get a fast enough desktop, and possibly also see it extneded to D3D11 but im not sure how critical that would be for perf
                    According to sebastianlacuesta 's link, they're currently using a d3d10umd port to virgl, but I'm wondering if venus can be ported and then zink + DXVK + VKD3D used instead? IIUC, DXVK and VKD3D implement the Direct3D API rather than the DDI, which means they cannot be installed as drivers in Windows, but can still be used by just replacing Microsoft's d3d DLLs with their own?

Also, I vaguely remember reading in another Phoronix thread that zink + venus should be faster than virgl, because of something about virgl being an emulated GPU using OpenGL as a back end while venus just passing through Vulkan calls to the host. If so, wouldn't that mean that DXVK/VKD3D + venus would be faster?

Comment

Working...
                    X