Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.10.38 Released As What Might Be The Last Of GIMP 2

Phoronix: GIMP 2.10.38 Released As What Might Be The Last Of GIMP 2

GIMP 2.10.38 was released on Sunday as what might be the "possibly last" GIMP 2 stable release ahead of the upcoming GIMP 3.0 release. GIMP 2.10.38 back-ports more features from the GIMP 3.0 / GTK3 codebase plus other improvements and fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sure...sure....

Comment

$ composer --list-licenses
      $ composer --list-funding
      $ composer --list-my-donations --past-year
      $ composer --get-funding-options
      $ composer --pay(for project) --paypal $sum --type=option
      $ composer --pay(for project) --paypal --make-merchant-request
      $ composer --list-used-databases --type=sql --funding-options
      $ composer deploy
      $ php --version

apt --show-used --type=gtk2 --purge --autoremove --request-funding

Comment

Nice to see the progress of GIMP - especially GIMP 3. Keep going the great work and thanks to the developers.

Comment

But hasn't Gimp really switched to GTK3 yet?
          We've been talking about it for years... I thought the transition had already happened some time ago.
          I haven't used Gimp for a few years now, because I switched to Krita, but it's a bit sad to see such slow development.​

Comment

I agree on backporting bug fixes (whether for running or building), I totally disagree on backporting new features especially when there is few maintainers and little funding for non-commercial use.

Comment

The CSD in upcoming gimp 3 is an inconsistent nightmare.
              Rather than looking at ugly GNOME UIs, time is better invested in learning Krita.

Comment

As a lightweight Gimp user (layers, transparency, transformations, selections) could I easily do those things with Krita?
                How steep is the learning curve for non professional users?

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
                  The CSD in upcoming gimp 3 is an inconsistent nightmare.
                  Rather than looking at ugly GNOME UIs, time is better invested in learning Krita.
                  What do you mean? I've been using the GIMP beta versions for quite some time and I hardly noticed any difference. The UI barely changed and GIMP still has a menu bar as it did before. Actually, GIMP should migrate to a proper CSD UI eventually - at least in my opinion because I find that approach beautiful and simple to use.

Comment

Originally posted by LxFx View Post
                    As a lightweight Gimp user (layers, transparency, transformations, selections) could I easily do those things with Krita?
                    How steep is the learning curve for non professional users?
                    Yes, absolutely possible. Not really that steep of a learning curve, most tools remain the same, others become multi-purpose (e.g. the transform tool in Krita does what all the other transform tools like Unified Transform, Flip, perspective etc do in GIMP, you just need to specify what you want to do in the Tool options in Krita when using the Transform tool e.g. flip or perspective). Layers and transparency are also in it.

Certain things still feel more uniform and easier to do in GIMP over Krita, like Text and Color Replacement (both technically requiring awkward new windows, in case of Color Replacement you use G'MIC QT but whenever I work with high resolution images e.g. 4096X4096 I can't even zoom out far enough to see what I am doing in the preview, the best alternative solution I found was using the "similar Color selection" tool, adjusting the threshold to my liking and using the HSV/HSL adjustment filter but that is a lot of extra steps compared to just using the color replacement tool in GIMP, also possible to use a colorize layer mask but again the setup is more than just using Color replacement and sometimes I need to quickly replace a lot of colors in a texture). As far as I know certain tools like the foreground select tool don't have an equivalent in Krita, but I very rarely use it so it doesn't bother me that much (but be warned if you do).

On the flip side Krita masks feel a lot easier to use and to toggle, allowing for a better non-destructive work flow and thus comparisons between the original and edited image. And also has a ton of plugins to enhance your workflow like Shortcut-Composer which allows you to setup pie-menus outside of the draw mode one (e.g. I use SHIFT+E to call a pie menu for all the editing tools I use, completely configurable to your liking and imho a good middle ground between remembering multiple shortcuts and having to move your cursor to the toolbar).

Comment

Working...
                    X