Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD A10-7870K Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: AMD A10-7870K Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Two weeks ago AMD launched the A10-7870K "Godavari" APU. As there haven't been too many independent benchmarks of the A10-7870K yet, this week I picked up the new high-end APU and have been running a plethora of performance tests under Ubuntu Linux. Here's the first batch of the AMD A10-7870K Linux tests.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would seem more impressive if AMD would market as what it really is. I wouldn't have any problems if it was called 2 modules, but it's not 4 cores....

EDIT: As what it really is, a dual core, it's pretty damn good.
    Last edited by duby229; 10 June 2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

What makes you think it isn't a quad core?

Comment

Hi. It would be nice to see which tests are single and multi-core. It is always interesting to see some single-core numbers clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by vmicho View Post
          Hi. It would be nice to see which tests are single and multi-core. It is always interesting to see some single-core numbers clearly.
          Click on the header of each graph and from the linked to OpenBenchmarking.org test profile page tends to be sufficient information if it has an SMP tag, dependency on OpenMP/MPI/etc, or from its description.

Or patches happily accepted upstream for PTS somehow illustrating concisely that it's a multi/single-threaded test based upon the available info it already has access to.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What OpenCL stack are you using to test on? You should be using the one provided by AMD and Intel, compare them side-by-side. I already know who will win.

Comment

Maybe benchmarking against a Celeron would be fairer. "High-end" APU...

A bit disappointing if you think about how AMD keeps re-branding video cards just to concentrate on these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                What makes you think it isn't a quad core?
                Because it's not.

Each module has 2 superscalar integer pipelines, those are what AMD calls "cores". There are also 2 memory address pipelines and a floating point pipeline. And probably a few others too.

In the case of CMT it allows both integer pipelines to execute independent threads concurrently, which appears to software as 2 separate processors. I suppose AMD decided that people are so stupid that they won't remember existing nomenclature.
                Last edited by duby229; 10 June 2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

You can buy an I5-4660 on Amazon for $189 which is virtually as fast as a I5-4670, I'd rather spend the extra and get a decent quad core.

Comment

Let's all be honest here, nobody gets an AMD APU for the damn CPU speed. If all you want is CPU speed, get an FX-series AMD or an Intel anything. People buy AMD APUs because they blow Intel graphics out of the freaking water without needing a discrete gpu.

Now do another benchmark, with the same CPU/APUs, but with graphics. (not that you will, because it would make AMD look good, and you thrive off of how "poor" the performance is)

Comment

Working...
                    X