Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPL-Violator Allwinner Joins The Linux Foundation

Phoronix: GPL-Violator Allwinner Joins The Linux Foundation

In an interesting move, Allwinner Technology is joining the Linux Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While one would think that they'd now clean up their game and stop violating the GPL, etc, they've also been members of Linaro since last year and that didn't seem to avoid their issues in the past few months.
    Should be pretty easy to get them to stop violating the GPL, now that they are in the Linux Foundation: Give them 6 months time to get their shit together, if it doesn't happen throw them out and revoke their license to use the Linux kernel, all accompanied by a huge media campaign about that.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
      and revoke their license to use the Linux kernel
      ...is this even doable? It may be possible to somehow prevent them from using the trademark, but not from forking, changing the name, keeping up with the mainline changes and carrying on like nothing happened.

Comment

after all it's all about money and that is how the average Linux kernel contributor who did his/her contribution in his/her spare time and for free is kind of robbed...

Comment

I don't see how The Linux Foundation can accept GPL violators. I am extremely upset that the GPL is violated so openly by so many companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Syke View Post
            I don't see how The Linux Foundation can accept GPL violators. I am extremely upset that the GPL is violated so openly by so many companies.
            money and greed, i don't see The Linux Foundation anymore as anything other than another evil corporation, that is not non-profit, but for-profit. if you haven't noticed already almost all Linux kernel maintainers are from the big corporations - that's how open-source was silently hijacked by corporation.

Comment

Thanks for the news. Set my calendar back to April 1st...it was completely off!

Comment

This story reminded me of the South Park with Al Sharpton. Time for some ass kissing.

Comment

Originally posted by const View Post

money and greed, i don't see The Linux Foundation anymore as anything other than another evil corporation, that is not non-profit, but for-profit. if you haven't noticed already almost all Linux kernel maintainers are from the big corporations - that's how open-source was silently hijacked by corporation.
                  This.
                  These are the members of the foundation: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/members , this is what they charge: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/...s_and_Benefits , and this is what they get for the membership: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/join/corporate . Enough said...
                  Last edited by asdfblah; 12 June 2015, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by const View Post

*Puts on tin-foil hat*
                    Fix the society, not the well-intending companies.

Comment

Working...
                    X