Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gummiboot Is Dead

Phoronix: Gummiboot Is Dead

Gummiboot, the lightweight UEFI boot manager that's been around for a few years, is now dead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I switched from Gummiboot to systemd-boot it was as easy as.
    # pacman -Rscn gummiboot
    # bootctl install

Comment

Did anybody seriously expect something else to happen?

Comment

How well does systemd-boot perform compared to gummi boot?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          How well does systemd-boot perform compared to gummi boot?
          It's the same program. Some files have a different name.

Comment

Originally posted by Ropid View Post

It's the same program. Some files have a different name.

Basically only the EFI binary has a different name:
            /EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi

It's still the same thing and used my existing configuration in /boot/EFI/loader/entries/

Comment

I'm a Gentoo Linux user and I switched from grub (2) to gummiboot about 5 weeks ago, as I wanted a simple basic UEFI bootloader.

It sounds like I'll need to find something else at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by lostdistance View Post
                I'm a Gentoo Linux user and I switched from grub (2) to gummiboot about 5 weeks ago, as I wanted a simple basic UEFI bootloader.

Unless I have missed something, systemd-boot does not depend on any (runtime) systemd component. Even if one's distribution doesn't package it separately, one can still create the package for himself only enabling-including the relevant components.

By the way, perhaps distributions packaging separate (systemd) components separately would dispel (partially, at least) the impression caused by all of them being in the same repository. (It's my understanding that it is possible; at least, I remember it being advertised)

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post
                  Unless I have missed something, systemd-boot does not depend on any (runtime) systemd component. Even if one's distribution doesn't package it separately, one can still create the package for himself only enabling-including the relevant components.

By the way, perhaps distributions packaging separate (systemd) components separately would dispel (partially, at least) the impression caused by all of them being in the same repository. (It's my understanding that it is possible; at least, I remember it being advertised)

That's not really systemd devs fault, though. That is up to distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by lostdistance View Post

Or you could do like open source is supposed to work: You want to use it, so either take maintenance/development for Gummiboot on yourself, pay someone to do that or convince someone to do that for free.

Sometimes I really have to wonder why so many people still are in the closed-source "The developers abandoned the project, we are all doomed and can do nothing about it" mindset .

Comment

Working...
                    X