Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQLite Just Got A Big Speed Boost: Now 2x As Fast As SQLite 3.8.0

Phoronix: SQLite Just Got A Big Speed Boost: Now 2x As Fast As SQLite 3.8.0

SQLite 3.8.11.1 was released yesterday and while it may not sound exciting from the version number, there are some measurable performance improvements with this popular embedded database update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

SQLite isn't ANSI SQL compliant though.

There is no information_schema table.

It implements most of SQL-91 but not SQL:2011.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Spoilsport :P

Comment

Then I'm assuming that you're not a fan of Oracle, either... information_schema doesn't exist there either (although there's always things like user_tables, user_tab_cols, user_objects, etc).

Regardless, 2x performance within a minor version is still a good thing.
        Last edited by Veerappan; 30 July 2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Interesting. SQLite has always had issues with performance when compared to MySQL and PostgreSQL, and I wonder if this does anything to close the gap. I also hope this will translate to SpatiaLite as well.

Comment

So?

The only question I have is this is there anything that comes close either free or commercial that you can offer up as a competitive solution. Sqlite from my perspective occupies a unique place in the database landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Interesting. SQLite has always had issues with performance when compared to MySQL and PostgreSQL, and I wonder if this does anything to close the gap. I also hope this will translate to SpatiaLite as well.
              This seems odd to me. In my experience with the smallish sized databases that SQLite is really good at, SQLite responds with the data even before MySQL can even get the SQL parsed. Benefits of being in-process.

And for writes, do them in transaction batches as always and write performance goes up dramatically.

Comment

Yea, well, I'm speaking about rather large databases. Website content, geographical data management, that sort of thing.

Comment

when will they implement SQRT() ?

Comment

those are probably great news for people running embedded, unless optimizations are only for x86/x8-64 family

i have a custom firmware on my e-ink reader, and will see what's the performance impact with this update.

Comment

Working...
                    X