Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's First Linux-Exclusive Launch Title Is Out

Phoronix: Steam's First Linux-Exclusive Launch Title Is Out

In the comments to this morning's article about the Steam Linux survey numbers for last month it was pointed out that as of last week there is a Linux-exclusive title currently on Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The first AAA timed Linux exclusive will be Half Life 3. You'll see .

Comment

They missed the chance to make dota 2 reborn a linux only for few weeks, which would have dragged a lot of people, just to try it.

Comment

I hope the windows port is well optimized LOL.

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
        Gabe is probably too idealistic to do that.

Comment

Doubt it, a Valve dev has said that it was risky making Half life 2 a steam exclusive and guessed in retrospect that they wouldn't do it today. Those kind of moves piss off paying fans of your games. In the end of the day a game shouldn't care if you are in the PS/XB or win/mac/linux camp. You want the most fans as you can to buy your game. Goodwill builds trust and trust will help get the average user thinking about SteamOS.

Comment

Pretty impressive launch title, i think a SNES would be enough to play as well

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
              Doubt it, a Valve dev has said that it was risky making Half life 2 a steam exclusive and guessed in retrospect that they wouldn't do it today. Those kind of moves piss off paying fans of your games. In the end of the day a game shouldn't care if you are in the PS/XB or win/mac/linux camp. You want the most fans as you can to buy your game. Goodwill builds trust and trust will help get the average user thinking about SteamOS.
              Yes, I'm very much opposed to Valve trying to make something linux exclusive. It pisses me off when games are exclusive to any platform, let's not try to justify doing that just because it happens to be our pet favorite one.

Comment

there are two episodes of hl3 already released

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
                  Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Yes, I'm very much opposed to Valve trying to make something linux exclusive. It pisses me off when games are exclusive to any platform, let's not try to justify doing that just because it happens to be our pet favorite one.
                  To be fair, he said "TIMED" Linux exclusive, which only means it'll come out on SteamOS first, with other platforms to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Yeah, that's just a recipe for problems. See the Tux item in TF2 and all the support questions filling reddit and other forums of Windows users who were trying to install it just to load it up, get the item and uninstall. Increasing Linux adoption had to be on its own merits, not by pushing it, otherwise you're just going to engender resentment from Windows users and support overload for Linux users.

Comment

Working...
                    X