No announcement yet.

Details On NVIDIA's Vulkan Driver, Sounds Like It Will Be A Same-Day Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details On NVIDIA's Vulkan Driver, Sounds Like It Will Be A Same-Day Release

Phoronix: Details On NVIDIA's Vulkan Driver, Sounds Like It Will Be A Same-Day Release

NVIDIA has shared some details on their Vulkan driver that will be released later in the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, you're linking to my account from youtube, I'm not from Nvidia, and my youtube "Brian Warner" name is obviously fake, I just visited some time ago a Nvidia website where this video wasn't available for download (just for viewing) but Firefox's extension let me download the video and I uploaded it to my youtube account.
    So please don't mention that name or that it's from a Nvidia employee, but leave the video link so that people can still watch it. Apparently Nvidia didn't bother posting their own video (so I did).
    Last edited by mark45; 02 September 2015, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Heh you mean these presentations:

Comment

The only uncertainty right now is whether AMD will have a same-day Vulkan driver release that supports Linux.
        Now that was uncalled for.

Comment

Nice, I was a bit worried about when Vulkan would be supported for linux. The sooner it's available, the sooner devs will adopt it. It's a little unfortunate that only the nvidia closed source driver will support it at first, but it's better than no support at all.

I just hope mesa gets completed soon. I imagine supporting vulkan will slow down the already relatively slow development process of openGL. But, I figure a lot of the code for Vulkan can be taken directly from the existing mesa code, which hopefully will speed that up.

Comment

If AMD don't release their Vulkan driver on day one too, I'd be disappointed. If they are more than a week behind, I might just not care anymore. Vulkan shouldn't be too hard for them of all people.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              If AMD don't release their Vulkan driver on day one too, I'd be disappointed. If they are more than a week behind, I might just not care anymore. Vulkan shouldn't be too hard for them of all people.
              IIRC, AMD hasn't supported OpenGL 4.5 yet, so it'd be a miracle if they supported Vulkan even 1 year after day 1. Catalyst's development seems to be strictly focused on servers and workstations. If you want to be gaming, at this point you're better off with the open source drivers. Once the open source drivers fully support OpenCL, catalyst will be almost entirely obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                IIRC, AMD hasn't supported OpenGL 4.5 yet, so it'd be a miracle if they supported Vulkan even 1 year after day 1. Catalyst's development seems to be strictly focused on servers and workstations. If you want to be gaming, at this point you're better off with the open source drivers. Once the open source drivers fully support OpenCL, catalyst will be almost entirely obsolete.
                I don't care which one gets it. As long as there is SOME code coming from AMD when Vulkan releases. I'd actually prefer if they released open Vulkan driver code.

Comment

What bothers me is that there is no visible open source activity, except for the supposed Intel driver, regarding Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    IIRC, AMD hasn't supported OpenGL 4.5 yet, so it'd be a miracle if they supported Vulkan even 1 year after day 1.
                    Wouldn't writing a Vulkan driver be easier than writing an openGL driver?

Comment

Working...
                    X