Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python 3.5 Released, Adds Major Features

Phoronix: Python 3.5 Released, Adds Major Features

Python 3.5.0 was released this morning with a number of major new features and other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You forgot the best new feature, mypy compatible static typing is now available in the built in types module!

EDIT:
    For those who havn't tried it, it isn't fully static typing but rather type annotations
    Here's the PEP: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0484/
    Last edited by johanb; 13 September 2015, 04:01 PM. Reason: Clarified

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
      You forgot the best new feature, mypy compatible static typing is now available in the built in types module!
      What? Python has a builtin static typing functionality? Cannot find it in the release notes...

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

What? Python has a builtin static typing functionality? Cannot find it in the release notes...
        It doesnt. It is more of an awkward type annotation system, ignored by the interpreter.

Comment

Well, it's not quite official, nor a new language feature, the static typing uses annotations and is a provisional module:

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

It's essentially an ugly hack with annotations. If you want static typing, just use cython(which at this point, is essentially a standalone language.)

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              If you want static typing, just use cython(which at this point, is essentially a standalone language.)
              Or use a scripting language that does static typing right. Crystal language is the one that does it right https://github.com/manastech/crystal

Comment

Originally posted by armetuz View Post

Or use a scripting language that does static typing right. Crystal language is the one that does it right https://github.com/manastech/crystal
                A language that emulates Ruby in an alpha stage with no ecosystem of libraries doesn't really compete with Python just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  doesn't really compete with Python just yet
                  True. It is really hard to compete with Python. From other side Crystal developed quite active. I am watching the project for several months already and I like how its development process goes. I use Crystal for my personal dev tools and I am happy with the language.

The reason I mentioned Crystal here is the way it runs/builds apps. It uses LLVM to make binaries. It allows to create small and *very* fast binaries, e.g. in all benchmarks I saw Crystal beats Go/Rust and of course scripting languages like Python/Ruby.

This language/compiler is very interesting and worth looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by armetuz View Post
                    The reason I mentioned Crystal here is the way it runs/builds apps. It uses LLVM to make binaries. It allows to create small and *very* fast binaries, e.g. in all benchmarks I saw Crystal beats Go/Rust and of course scripting languages like Python/Ruby.
                    Rust uses LLVM as well. It beats Go/Rust because those two have more language features that are compiled into every binary (especially rust), and it beats Python/Ruby simply by the fact that it's compiled.

Also, isn't a scripting language, by definition, interpreted? Thus Crystal wouldn't be one?

Comment

Working...
                    X