Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSF Endorses Yet Another (Outdated) Laptop

Phoronix: FSF Endorses Yet Another (Outdated) Laptop

The Free Software Foundation has endorsed the Taurinus X200 laptop as a laptop that respects your freedoms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have no problem with outdated per se, I use a outdated Thinkpad X220, but I question if its ANOTHER laptop. Either u missed to mention the differences to the GlugGlug or its 2 times a thinkpad x200. it does not magicly gets a new laptop if you replace the bios.

As far as I understand that is the GlugGlug with another name but buyable in the us?

Comment

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I'm sensing some negative vibes from the emphasis on "outdated" here. Is the FSF supposed to slacken their standards just because all the hardware manufacturers for the last few years have deliberately refused to release anything that can be used without blobs?

Comment

Wait. This one is way more powerful than my current laptop. But it sounds like a bit pricey, doesn't it ? I mean, for the hardware inside, that's not cheap.

Comment

$673.00 fully loaded + plus libreboot stickers. (240 GB SSD, 8GB RAM) Good price I think... but once again, I've got these CAD moneys...

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            ... but once again, I've got these CAD moneys...

They ship internationally and also have a 14" model based on the T400. Also might be advisable to buy the base model and upgrade the ram yourself as the prices look a bit high and not knowing what type of SSD they use bothers me.
            Last edited by WOLF308; 29 September 2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

445$ this crap LOL

Comment

Wow that is old. Good to see that there are laptops like this though.

Comment

Sometimes "outdated" means predating unwanted anti-features like UEFI with network support. For FSF, it means predating the recent locked shit Intel is selling, and using neither recent Nvidia nor any AMD graphics. Recent changes at both Intel and Nvidia such as locking firmware to chips make their new hardware into paperweights for those want control over their own machines. The FSF's distinction between microcode on a flash chip and the same code on disk blocks them from using AMD. I agree with FSF that any machine that is locked to closed firmware, as opposed to one for which open firmware has simply not been written needs to be boycotted. Yes, I do stockpile older hardware. At the "performance" desktop level Phenom II x4 or Core 2 Quad are really all you need. If you don't edit video or play AAA games Core 2 Duo or Phenom II/Athlon II x2 is enough. Why do you think offices are refusing to discard their Core 2/Win 7 stuff?

The use of Lenovo as a source is interesting. This company is famous for malicious software-and now for malicious firmware to force-reinstall their crapware when a Windows user reinstalls Windows from a non-Lenovo disk. Libreboot will exterminate such roachware but I would worry about malicious hardware coming from Lenovo next. After all, anything that can be done in firmware can be done in hardware to make SURE it is not removed.
                  Last edited by Luke; 29 September 2015, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    The use of Lenovo as a source is interesting. This company is famous for malicious software-and now for malicious firmware to force-reinstall their crapware when a Windows user reinstalls Windows from a non-Lenovo disk.
                    Part of me wonders if they chose Lenovo simply because they had a bad reputation for that, kind of like a protective case for a phone that's easy to break. Or they thought it was hilarious. Or it's a good laptop.

Comment

Working...
                    X