Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Link DCS-2630L: 180 Degree, HD WiFi 802.11ac Camera

Phoronix: D-Link DCS-2630L: 180 Degree, HD WiFi 802.11ac Camera

D-Link this morning announced the release of the full-HD DCS-2630L WiFi camera. This 802.11ac WiFi security/monitoring camera features a 180 degree field of view and full 1080p video support. D-Link sent out the camera to us last week as a review sample and I've been trying it out and happy with the results as a new indoor security camera.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting review! I ordered a Canary yesterday based on ArsTechnica's review, but I'm not completely happy with the specs. The D-Link is interesting because it has local storage via microSD slot. I'm curious if Michael or anyone else knows a camera that can record h264 video in 1080i at 30 or more fps in both light and dark conditions, but has the option of saving the video to local/remote storage via NFS/Samba/WebDAV/FTP, preferably with both wireless and PoE support, and in the same $200-$250 ballpark as other recently released cameras like the Nest. The D-Link specs say it supports Samba and FTP, but that went unreviewed. If you feel like publishing an addendum, I'd love to know how well that works.

Comment

The big no-no for this camera, Nest cam, or something else like it is the off-site storage of video feeds. I'm fine with the Nest thermostats, but not video.

I've been looking at Ubiquiti's products as an alternative so that I can store the video on-site. As an added bonus they fully support Linux, since the firmware that the systems run is based on Debian anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by MetricT View Post
        Interesting review! I ordered a Canary yesterday based on ArsTechnica's review, but I'm not completely happy with the specs. The D-Link is interesting because it has local storage via microSD slot. I'm curious if Michael or anyone else knows a camera that can record h264 video in 1080i at 30 or more fps in both light and dark conditions, but has the option of saving the video to local/remote storage via NFS/Samba/WebDAV/FTP, preferably with both wireless and PoE support, and in the same $200-$250 ballpark as other recently released cameras like the Nest. The D-Link specs say it supports Samba and FTP, but that went unreviewed. If you feel like publishing an addendum, I'd love to know how well that works.
        That's what I do with all my cameras is just store it locally on an FTP server when motion is detected. Been doing that for years with D-Link cameras so really didn't find a need to mention it as really not any new feature.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ChamPro View Post
          The big no-no for this camera, Nest cam, or something else like it is the off-site storage of video feeds. I'm fine with the Nest thermostats, but not video.

I've been looking at Ubiquiti's products as an alternative so that I can store the video on-site. As an added bonus they fully support Linux, since the firmware that the systems run is based on Debian anyways.

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#all/surveillance
          Don't make a D-Link account then and just configure it from web interface to backup to SD or LAN storage.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

web interface requiring a proprietary plug-in
            Hey, D-Link, its 2015. There is HTML5, etc. MSI files for web interface are lame. And I wonder if they've put backdoor into stock firmware as they usually do in most of their devices.

Comment

Since everybody is talking about HTML5, is there really a way to use a live feed using HTML5? I mean live as in sub second delay... Otherwise self refreshing jpegs (on 1080p that is a lot of bandwidth) are the only cross browser option.

Comment

Here some thoughts about my experience with ip cameras:

- Wifi is bad. These cameras use small antennas and if you put then some walls away from a router, you will get a really bad feed. Ethernet, especially PoE, are the best way;

- Anything bellow 1080p is unacceptable, if you want to identify some robber. And the higher the camera is, the worst is the angle to capture the face of someone. Unfortunately, ip cameras above 1080p are very expensive;

- Cameras and DVRs are computers, mostly using some outdated Linux kernel. Being computers, they need security updates to not compromise your home network. But there are very few, if any, security updates for these things. So if you do not want others using your own cameras to watch you dancing to some Justin Bieber music, I advise you to keep these equipment in their own very locked network. You can always login to this network to look at the cameras, or in the DVR own monitor/TV.

Comment

did u use this as an excuse to show off your house?

EDIT: your girlfriend made you do it!
                  Last edited by nomadewolf; 21 October 2015, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                    Thanks for the review!

Based on your experience, is it possible to run this camera in the following scenario?
                    - Make it record only to local storage
                    - Access videos by connecting to the WIFI network the camera hosts locally (if at all)
                    (I am wondering if I can put this cam inside an elevator, as in my case the WIFI can't penetrate the concrete walls. I want to connect to the camera over the WIFI it hosts if I need to watch videos)

Also,
                    When it records to local storage, can it record in a "cycle mode", overriding older videos?

Thanks a lot!
                    Last edited by maniacb; 21 December 2015, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X