What Alien Isolation Looks Like On The Open-Source AMD Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Alien Isolation Looks Like On The Open-Source AMD Linux Driver

Phoronix: What Alien Isolation Looks Like On The Open-Source AMD Linux Driver

To the excitement of many Linux gamers, Feral Interactive announced today the release of Alien: Isolation. However, for now you're best off using the NVIDIA proprietary driver followed by AMD Catalyst while the open-source drivers aren't yet ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Somebody should check to see if Marek's ARB_copy_image patches are enough to fix the rendering in radeonsi.

Edit: and MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE=GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays

Although apparently the devs said it uses compute shaders, so that probably won't be enough.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 27 October 2015, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Feral recommends the proprietary NVIDIA driver as best for supporting this popular strategy game first released for Windows in 2014.
      What?

Comment

The game runs beautifully on Nvidias blob.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
          What Alien Isolation Looks Like On The Open-Source AMD Linux Driver
          That probably looks same or worse or nothing on nouveau or intel

The game runs beautifully on Nvidias blob.
          It should run fine with AMD Catalyst blob too... but blobs are different story.

Comment

Kind of odd for them to require OpenGL 4.3 on the Linux version when they released it on Mac OSX as well and OSX only has support up to 4.1

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              Kind of odd for them to require OpenGL 4.3 on the Linux version when they released it on Mac OSX as well and OSX only has support up to 4.1
              Beside OpenGL It likely require OpenCL on OS X, as because this and SoM game require compute shaders to render properly.

Well for those radeonsi issues to quote what Edwin from Feral said:

The game needs OpenGL 4.3 support which is missing in RadeonSI. If you install Catalyst drivers you should have the game rendering correctly although not fast enough for official support (yet).
              http://steamcommunity.com/app/214490...79865893077893

But if it is 60% on Nvidia and 40% on AMD, i don't see a problem - both are slower then on Windows

Dunno what means "fast enogh" maybe deal equal to "half of the Windows version speed" - then logic in me said it should be half of the price
              Last edited by dungeon; 28 October 2015, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Dunno what means "fast enogh" maybe deal equal to "half of the Windows version speed" - then logic in me said it should be half of the price
                Yeah, it's surprisingly playable on my Lenovo T420 (Sandy Bridge Core i5, 12 GB RAM, Nvidia NVS 4200M) on Windows.

Comment

A Phoronix reader for instance reported a Radeon R9 390 with Catalyst 15.9 (the latest) yielding, "all video settings at max: usually 20 or 30 FPS, 15 FPS in complex scenes, all cutscenes at 60 FPS, loading screens at 1-2 FPS."
                  Is that @ 4k ?

Running a 290 @ 1440p , on ultra lowest i've seen is 50. norm in the 70's. Cut scenes 250+.

Comment

Originally posted by spike411 View Post

Yeah, it's surprisingly playable on my Lenovo T420 (Sandy Bridge Core i5, 12 GB RAM, Nvidia NVS 4200M) on Windows.
                    Well Windows version is in house version, where they can gain same or at least 85% of the speed, i mean OpenGL vs Direct3D renderer. That is why I support more indie devs who make well performing opengl version of their games in house thus where is more chance OpenGL renderer will be maded fine, particulary if they have their own engine

While those Mac/Linux thirdy party porting houses are fine if they get 60%, maybe 70% at best - and that also nVidia only
                    Last edited by dungeon; 28 October 2015, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X