Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.0 RC7 Released, PHP 7 Final Gets Pushed Back

Phoronix: PHP 7.0 RC7 Released, PHP 7 Final Gets Pushed Back

While the highly anticipated PHP 7 release was supposed to happen today, it hasn't as instead it's been replaced by another release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"highly anticipated"? I don't really believe that. The popularity of PHP has really dropped in the last years, and those who use it are still the same folks that want eternal backwards compatibility over everything else.

Comment

So much hate..
      1. highly anticipated = long time in the making, thus reported in the news more than once in the past.
      2. "The popularity of PHP has really dropped in the last years": where did you get your data? http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/pl-php/all/all
      3. "Those who use it are still the same folks that want eternal backwards compatibility over everything else": maybe they just run projects that span more than a few years, so they can't follow the new-hipster-technology and recode everything from scratch every year using a new language/framework. To make a comparison, imho that's the whole point why microsoft is still selling a lot with their OSes.. you can get a 16-bit .exe coded for windows3.1 and get it to work on windows 7 with a little pain.
      Last edited by ctrlaltca; 12 November 2015, 01:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
        "highly anticipated"? I don't really believe that. The popularity of PHP has really dropped in the last years, and those who use it are still the same folks that want eternal backwards compatibility over everything else.
        Really? What server-side language has replaced it?

Comment

If I were starting just now, I would go with other languages than php. Ruby or Go, never Java though

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
            If I were starting just now, I would go with other languages than php. Ruby or Go, never Java though
            If I were starting now, I too would also look into lots of different languages (we are spoilt for choice these days). I would still encourage people to know PHP though, it is still used in a LOT of applications (for example, just the other day it was announced that 25% of the web was vulnerable^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H using Wordpress.)

As for other server side languages
            Go is awesome and fast, but is still young (therefore fewer choices of extras/components)
            Ruby is slow and (unless it is changed a lot) painful to deploy, but with rails you can create sites quickly
            Java is fast, it just comes with a lot of baggage
            NodeJS? maybe - still not sure why anyone would willing write JavaScript (I guess there is a case of stockholm syndrome going on there)
            Rust - very young, but promising

Comment

PHP is pretty good for JIT and lazy loading, plus there are plenty of tools around integrated with it. Most people who diss it forget that a software stack is valued as much on it's community and exisiting libraries, as it is on it's code-quality.
              Linux also has plenty of dirty spots, but it has so many peolple working on it, and that's why it's strong.

Has anybody checked out any of the golang web frameworks? I was thinking of
              Looking at revel.

Comment

Working...
              X