Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Popular European Cable Modem Is Now Open-Source

Phoronix: A Popular European Cable Modem Is Now Open-Source

A popular European cable modem has seen its software open-sourced by Technicolor in order to comply with the GPL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not entirely sure, but apparently the remaining software libraries can be found here:

Comment

Good job Adam Kalisz, Thanks

Comment

Good news!

Comment

That's cool. I have a Technicolor DSL modem router here but it works well enough for my needs at the moment. I have flashed OpenWRT onto an old Netgear before though. I wouldn't want to run their code, especially if it was open!

Comment

Awesome work 👍

Comment

Can it be used in the USA? An open router/modem is something I always wanted to try out without having an old PC drink all my electricity.

Comment

tigerroast well, probably not, since you would need a coaxial cable from the ISP and the DOCSIS 3.0 protocol running over the cable. You can check out the Turris Omnia by CZ.NIC https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...-router#/story that router should fulfil most of your needs. I was wondering, why that open source SW&HW router didn't get more attention on Phoronix

Thank you all for the support, it really isn't a finished thing at all. The situation didn't automagically improve over night by actually providing the source. The main advantage in having the source is, that somebody from the OpenWRT community has a much easier job porting OpenWRT to the TC7200 modem, because they have the needed firmware now available and can inspect some of the inner workings of that device through the study of the source code. I don't have the time or expertise. Here is a OpenWRT wiki page for the Broadcom chip series: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardwar...oadcom.bcm33xx
                I would post the announcement to the OpenWRT mailing list but they seem to be quite slow in approving new subscribers.

In case something goes horribly wrong and Technicolor pull the sources, I have a clone of the git repository. I also have an email from Technicolor, which isn't the usual 'info! or 'support'. Follow my personal website to get more information.

Comment

Note that the code drop includes some blobs, so it's not perfect.

Comment

kaliszad Thanks! I would've never heard of this project. Exactly what I was looking for!

Comment

Working...
                    X