Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building An Intel Xeon E3 v5 "Skylake" Linux System

Phoronix: Building An Intel Xeon E3 v5 "Skylake" Linux System

Now that Xeon Skylake processors are becoming easier to find at major Internet retailers along with supported motherboards, here are the parts I used for assembling an Intel Xeon E3 1245 v5 Skylake system if you are interested in doing a similar Linux workstation build. While my complete Xeon E3 1245 v5 Linux review will come shortly, enclosed are also some initial Ubuntu benchmarks as well.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

First thought: damn, those adblockers....

Comment

wow amd fx8320e is still one hell of a bargain and many other fx processors look nice in the comparison as well.

Comment

michael plz add x265 to benchmarks as they intensively use AVX2
        thx

Comment

The Supermicro X11SAE-M is meant as a workstation motherboard, not a server one. Maybe that's the reason it has more video out ports than just VGA. Also it has no ipmi, so that also allows more than just VGA.

Comment

are any of these benchmarks utilizing avx512

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
              are any of these benchmarks utilizing avx512
              I don't think that model has AVX512 since it's based on the Desktop Chip.

Comment

Should this processor and motherboard combo support VFIO PCIe pass-through?

Comment

I think that Xeon is more like the i7-6700; here's the specs of the CPUs I was considering for my next workstation build:
                  http://ark.intel.com/compare/88174,8...01,88168,88188

Comment

Michael

Until you get an i7-6700K please use this system for gaming benchmarks - if you rely on stock speeds (no gamer does). But I don't get why you don't oc your i7-5960X, this cpu is 100% made for oc - look at

We sit down with Intel's Paul Zagacki to talk Devil's Canyon, Haswell-E and overclocking. Then, we overclock five retail Core i7-5960X CPUs to their limits.

Could you please use the i7-5960 as a "normal" gamer would do with this cpu? I mean running at 4.5 GHz+

Comment

Working...
                    X