Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Releases Initial Signed Firmware Images For GTX 900 Series Open-Source Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases Initial Signed Firmware Images For GTX 900 Series Open-Source Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases Initial Signed Firmware Images For GTX 900 Series Open-Source Support

As the start to a beautiful week, after about a year and a half, NVIDIA has finally released the signed firmware images and support code for enabling the GeForce GTX 900 "Maxwell" series under the open-source NVIDIA driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well that's good news, about time indeed. Hope they work faster on doing the same for nvidia's upcoming pascal cards.

Comment

It was about time.

Comment

oh my god

Comment

what about 750Ti? that one is as well Maxwell

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            what about 750Ti? that one is as well Maxwell
            There is already (very basic) Nouveau support for the 750 series: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-750-Linux-4.5
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Mmm, my gtx950 is ready and waiting...

Comment

900 series was released about 1.5 years ago. If everything goes as planned and there are no further delays, this support might end up in a mainstream distro like Ubuntu in late 2016 at best, over 2 years after release. Debian users would have to wait until mid 2017 given how their release cycles have been historically

Comment

If you are not open source fanatic, this matters only from Android-x86 project point of view, because there is not available Nvidia closed driver.

Comment

This has been ridiculous, but at least they got around to it. Let's hope whatever (probably legal) concern caused the wait, is solved permanently and does not affect the Pascal release.

My suspicion is that they included some 3rd-party code which they were not licensed to distribute in this manner, and had to resolve the licensing issue before releasing standalone blobs.

I assume NVIDIA was not intentionally working against Nouveau enablement; though I guess that is also possible.
                    Last edited by microcode; 15 February 2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X